Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon!

I bake smallmouth bass fillets (scales on) on a buttered sheet of aluminum foil in a baking pan. Scales side down... the skin & scales will adhere to the foil and the baked fish can be lifted off the skin with a spatula to serve. On top of each fillet sprinkle chopped onions and squirt lemon juice concentrate... And on top of the onions, lay a strip of bacon.
    I bake it at 375 until the flesh of the fish falls away from the bones. The bacon fat drips through the onions and bastes the bass while-U-wait!

This is a good way to get a lot of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids (from the bass) along with the cholesterol from the bacon.

For different flavors, one could add to the chopped onions any combination of apple sauce, garlic powder, celery salt, fresh ground pepper, Worchestershire sauce, and/or finely chopped green pepper.

In my estimation, the bacon to beat is Nueske's Applewood Smoked, thin sliced.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    In my estimation, the bacon to beat is Nueske's Applewood Smoked, thin sliced.
    I'm a Beeler's fan myself, but would not have any trouble dispatching Nueske's if it were placed in front of me. lol Very good bacon, indeed.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have never been the bacon hound that the rest of the family is but I am dealing with a glut of delicious tomatoes and oh how I love me a BLT. I have eaten so many the corners of my mouth are starting to hurt.

Been vegetarian for 18+ years and to this day I still like the smell of bacon in the morning. Could never eat it, but like the smell!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Each time I read the tirle of this thread, I laugh, thinking of this video that went viral in recent year. It is hysterically funny!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw
    Had not seen that - too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I have never been the bacon hound that the rest of the family is but I am dealing with a glut of delicious tomatoes and oh how I love me a BLT. I have eaten so many the corners of my mouth are starting to hurt.
    DW & DD LOVE their BLT's - so I can joint along - my veg choice. Sour Dough bread toasted, yellow mustard, thick sliced tomato, avocado slices, fresh crisp lettuce and sometimes thinly sliced cucumber, salt pepper to taste. Served with some red grapes and dill pickle slices. Yum. The real trick is finding the 6 hour window the avocado is ripe!

Really cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Each time I read the tirle of this thread, I laugh, thinking of this video that went viral in recent year. It is hysterically funny!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am not a bacon lover but I do like what I call real bacon, not the brand name bought in a store bacon. I get bacon from a neighbor when he butchers his pigs. Taste depends on how the meat is smoked. Bacon from the same pig can taste different depending on how it is cured and smoked. Also, it has to be thick, real thick. I am picky about where and who butchers and smokes the bacon I eat and only eat bacon a couple of times a year but it is worth the hassle and wait.

Thread Information