Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August Purge

August Purge

I'm continuing my quest to get rid of 1,200 items this year.

Today, I took 30 items to Goodwill, returned three items I'd bought through catalogues, and passed on a book to a friend, so my total for this month so far is 34.

Yppej
    I started following your lead this month, and have hit 100 for August already, but I count each piece of paper I throw away as one item. Paper is my biggest challenge.

I've recently purged six big bags of clothing, a couple of sturdy chaises, miscellaneous kitchen ware, and odds and ends.
    Now to begin a new pile.

2 months ago my 5lb dog died and she was always cold even in summer. Plus she loved clothes. When she would see me holding a outfit she would immediately roll over on her back like a baby. I decided to donate her collection to the HS for their garage sale. I also had lots of pink leashes, harnesses, etc. Since I just got a baby boy he can't wear girl stuff)I kept one dress to remember her by that said drama queen because she was quite the Diva. I don't count items but I have a bag to donate.

Yesterday I took a bag with some of my kids school uniform shirts to goodwill. They were usable but a bit downtrodden, and I kept not using them (I have plenty of shirts left). It helps in getting ready for the new school year b/c now I know that whatever shirt my daughter chooses will be in usable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    2 months ago my 5lb dog died and she was always cold even in summer. Plus she loved clothes. When she would see me holding a outfit she would immediately roll over on her back like a baby. I decided to donate her collection to the HS for their garage sale. I also had lots of pink leashes, harnesses, etc. Since I just got a baby boy he can't wear girl stuff)I kept one dress to remember her by that said drama queen because she was quite the Diva. I don't count items but I have a bag to donate.
    Oh, so sorry to hear about your dog! I relate to her since I'm always cold That's a great idea to keep something special to remember her while donating the rest. Sweet.

Thanks! She was my favorite of our 4 dogs and was a Maltese. She was 12 yo. She got congestive hart failure and 8 months later had a few strokes. However, she had the best week of her life right before she died. She loved to travel and I took her with me on a plane for a week. I was visiting friends and family and she went everywhere with me. I never give people food unless we travel and then she gets a little. It was at a lower altitude and she felt better and could actually take a walk which is something she couldn't do where we live. On the way home I was carrying her in a sling and the TSA lady started talking rude and nasty to me for no reason. Cassie started barking and growling at her. I said don't mind her she has some pain issues and the woman said "No she did not like the way I was talking to you." Then she got nicer.

Yppej
    It's been a decade since my last dog died and just this weekend I got rid of his outside chain. Teacher Terry you are brave to move on so quickly.

I have to admit that I have her favorite dress, ashes and tag on the window sill in my office. I really miss that little girl.

Added to the outbox today: 3 jackets, 3 shirts and 13 books. I like to purge in little bits while I do housework. I ask "do I want to dust you again in a few weeks, or is this relationship over?" It ain't Marie Kondo, but it works for me.
    My YTD on clothing is 16 in and 41 out, so I'm ahead by 25. Very few books come in any more except on loan from the library. I bought several dollar or fifty cent books from the library, but I pass those around and re-donate them.

Thread Information