Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August Purge

Yppej
    Ouch!

Jane, I loved that house except for the half wall around one part of the kitchen which could easily be removed. Super cute. My office is small and is also the guest room. So today I went through it again and got rid of a bunch of stuff. Then I was able to put somethings that had been sitting on the floor in there which made it feel much better. For instance, I have a huge basket of tests that I was able to put in there. Some things like these I need to keep until I fully retire from testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jane, I loved that house except for the half wall around one part of the kitchen which could easily be removed. Super cute. My office is small and is also the guest room. So today I went through it again and got rid of a bunch of stuff. Then I was able to put somethings that had been sitting on the floor in there which made it feel much better. For instance, I have a huge basket of tests that I was able to put in there. Some things like these I need to keep until I fully retire from testing.
    The two things I would change about that house would be to replace the gas heat with electric forced air and make the wall between the kitchen and living area higher. I don't like "open concept." Maybe I'd leave a pass-through, but maybe not. Guess it's a moot point. It will probably be $400K next week. (Note to self: paint next house pink...)

My old house is not open concept and I am fine with that. My kitchen and DR are open but you can't see the kitchen mess from the LR. The house was built in 1950 and I just love it. It was a foreclosure and we redid everything before we moved in 5 years ago. At 1400 sq ft it is the perfect size for 2 and I was so happy to be done with 2 levels. I am more motivated to put things away when it does not involve a flight of steps. I just thought the partial wall looked dumb so I could see totally enclosing it too.

I didn't like the half-wall either--it looks like a lame afterthought. The size of the house and the yard are perfect for me, as is the single story. It's a mile or so from my SO and close to shopping, amenities, etc. Not far from my old condo. It has set a benchmark for prospective digs. (But I was drooling over an Olympia condo with a stunning view of the sound...) Must start packing.

I would probably drool over your house, too. Love MSM!

Geila
    I liked the half wall because it offered usable storage and counter space while keeping the kitchen bright and open. I'm a fan of the open layout. My kitchen used to be all closed up and I felt depressed in there. And having it closed off meant that I was tempted to keep it looking messy. Now that it's open it looks nice all the time and I enjoy using it. Of course, different strokes and all that.

Threw out two pairs of worn-out shoes yesterday. New total for month: 38.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I recently found a smallish, affordable, darling house in Oregon. Unfortunately, I'm still buried in this one--or soon will be. My beloved went to look at it today. and he loved it--very unusual. If I were a more efficient person, or a risk-taker, or had some energy, I'd just pull money out of my house, make a down payment, and go for it. But alas. I was slowly moving toward packing, but now I'm motivated. Too late for this one, but maybe I'll catch the next gold ring..(I see the price has gone up 25K since it was first listed. Crazy market, that one!)
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-37678#photo1
    Oh I dont know, the only personality that house is showing to me is the pinkness. We would pay $235,000 for that.

Yppej
    I have been trying for months to get my son to replace his smelly urine stained mattress. The box spring broke months ago. To me it is common sense that you go to a store and lie down on the mattress and try it out, and today I finally got him to go to two stores, both local. You would have thought the world was coming to an end with all the complaining abiut driving somewhere. We left an hour after we agreed to because it took him so long to get ready.

At store #1 he agreed on one mattress but we wanted to comparison shop. Store #2 was overpriced so we went back to store #1. By this time there were other customers there and in an attack of social anxiety he pushed me aside and rushed away from them to the mattress area, then decided he didn't like the mattress he liked earlier after all. He then decided he must have a pillowtop, but was too stressed out to shop any longer. His favorite mode of shopping to avoid people, online, isn't going to work as those companies don't offer pillowtops, but he won't listen to me and said he must do online research and it is too stressful to try to make any decisions now and this whole day I wasted his time and all he got was a headache.

Among his plans is that he can find out how to build a bed frame with cinderblocks. Even though he is not the one paying he has a rigid idea of how cheap a bed should be that is not realistic, especially for a pillowtop. It is so hard to declutter when someone else is involved, especially someone with an anxiety disorder who has difficulty with choice and change. He is 23 and legally an adult, but emotionally still immature. So I guess it was a frugal day because I didn't spend any money. But I am frustrated.
    Last edited by Yppej; 8-19-17 at 12:45pm.

I have a foam mattress that came all squished up in a box, delivered, I then added a foam topper. I may replace the topper with something else eventually. Could your son buy the mattress and a pillow topper separately? I would avoid mattress stores just on general principle.

Thread Information