Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heresy at Google

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I long for the simpler times when the only ideology corporations needed to worry about was shareholder value.
    In 1991, My boss and I were both sent to the week-long boot-camp for sexual harassment issues, gender issues, equal opportunity employment/management practices, and so on.

Which was hilarious. As he, though a vice-president, had only a single employee - me. I had precisely zero employees, I did all my department's work with cleverness and guile.

But, as was explained, even in the early '90s, a single mis-step could cost the shareholders a fortune, so it was advisable to cross all our i's and dot all out t's.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I'm curious if anyone here knows if Damore provided the internal memo to gizmodo or is the "leaker" unknown? The whole thing seems way too scripted to me. Damore had to know what a crap storm this was going to cause.
    The crap storm was already in progress. The Dept of Labor has been actively investigating Google and a group of 60 women are currently suing them for discriminatory pay practices. I'm guessing lots of people with access to the memo had incentive to leak it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    In 1991, My boss and I were both sent to the week-long boot-camp for sexual harassment issues, gender issues, equal opportunity employment/management practices, and so on.

Which was hilarious. As he, though a vice-president, had only a single employee - me. I had precisely zero employees, I did all my department's work with cleverness and guile.

But, as was explained, even in the early '90s, a single mis-step could cost the shareholders a fortune, so it was advisable to cross all our i's and dot all out t's.
    Lest you create a hostile work environment for yourself and sue the company?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Lest you create a hostile work environment for yourself and sue the company?
    They certainly gave us detailed instructions on how to do so!

It came in pretty handy, I will say, at my next company, when my (female) boss refused to let me take my family medical leave time upon the birth of my daughter, and told me I wouldn't have my job if I did... Got to retire a few years early because of that!

How interesting, today was staff training for the new school year. We are in an urban school district with a diverse student body and staff. Today was all about diversity and inclusivity. I went to sessions on talking about color, gender and one on special needs. I think we do a good job with this really. I feel pretty comfortable talking about things I did not know how to talk about a couple years ago. Sometimes we do not come to an agreement or some feelings are still difficult, but we are trying! Last year I was in the process of hiring a staff who is muslim, one of my staff said directly she would have a problem with her. The candidate ended up getting a different job, but today that staff who had an issue was at staff training with hundreds of people, including staff in hijabs and a sikh staff with a really interesting hat. It is my opinion that we need to increase our willingness and comfort in order to give our kids a good education.

On a totally different note, I had my testy staff person back the first day after summer break. She already is on the edge with her tone. So I would not be pleased to have any of my staff writing a 10 page public statement about policies. There are professional standards for communication, and our department has ways to have these conversations. As someone pointed out in a thread I started, being listened to is not the same as agreeing. Today I was challenged by my staff, I listened and I didn't agree. Maybe this young man had expressed himself and the answer was simply no.

Thread Information