Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving the USA....

Leaving the USA....

OK, I have now sitting in front of me reliable job and citizenship offers from Iceland and Norway.

I can make do in Norwegian reasonably-well, Icelandic will take another year or so of study. And in both countries, frankly, in the urban areas, they speak English better than I do.

My 20-year-old daughter is passable in both languages.

I don't *need* the jobs from either place, but both are in fields I enjoy, and I'd feel less guilty than simply buying my way in. I can afford to purchase a nice home or farm in either place.

Have any of you ever left the USA, and your citizenship? And if so, what did you encounter?

Me, I'd be happy living in either Iceland or Norway for the rest of my days, if I can work out the details.

The Finns have made a reasonably-competitive offer as well, but Finnish is really bloody hard for my ear to pick up so far.

Conversation at dinner tonight involved the tactics of one of us retaining our US citizenship, Just In Case.

Dual-citizenship is a bit of a minefield, but I could traverse that if necessary.

I will beat Rob to tell you congratulations!
    So you have to surrender your citizenship for these jobs, rather then something like we have here (work visa's)?
    I remember Tina Turner lived in another country for some years, before changing her citizenship status (by not renewing her visa, if I remember correctly). Not the same thing as renouncing your citizenship, but an option to consider.
    If you have to change your citizenship, does your spouse also have to?
    Is this the daughter that is in school? Does she have to go, and if so as well as if not, how does that affect her education costs (schooling, living, etc)?
    Will Alan continue to pay for your health care?

I don't know much about Norway, but Iceland varies quite a bit and is a beautiful country. (I'd love to see it, heck maybe attend a Sigar Ros concert)

And again, good luck and congratulations.

I don't *have* to change my citizenship.

My daughter has one more year of college left, which I am paying full-fare for out-of-pocket, though this year she spent at Cambridge. She'll be going to grad school next year at Cambridge, or perhaps Oxford.

Spouse does not need to change citizenship.

Alan will not pay for my health care anymore. Sven Olofson will. (I actually plan on remaining healthy until my mid-90's, like my grandparents, then dying in my sleep.)

I am so simple, Will you miss anyone here as not many will visit?

Yppej
    I went to Canada for 8 months during the Reagan years and retained the dual citizenship I have from birth (American father, Canadian mother). It did not feel like home, and it bothered me seeing things like the U.S. Flag burned. Now I have so many years into the Social Security system that I would not work abroad.

No experience here, but certainly understand what you are doing and why. I would pick Norway, due to geography and location and proximity to Denmark and Sweden. I would buy a farm and raise landrace sheep.

I would have a very difficult time giving up my citizenship.

bae:

I says go for it!

How exciting! And congrats to you! I can't even imagine being in a similar situation. I also wonder if dual citizenship might be the way to go. For me, that would give me a feeling of having "options". Regardless, wishing you the best of luck.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Congrats Bae!

Would you be willing to share some of the thinking behind this possible move? It seemed from your posts that you were well rooted in your community, and an active participant in building and maintaining your community, so in my mind, that would be really hard to leave. What is the attraction of moving thousands of miles away and giving up the life you've obviously loved?

Speaking from the vantage of absolute ignorance, I would choose Norway, as it's not as isolated and insular as Iceland seems to be--and it's part of Europe!
    You live in a lovely part of the world now, but if I were you, I'd snap this chance up in a heartbeat. Of course, you knew that...
    I'd hedge my bets and go with dual citizenship for awhile...

Thread Information