Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leaving the USA....

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I have 2 cousins who compete and hold records. There are several competitions in Highland Games all involve men in skirts throwing heavy things! Ha! We build 'em big and strong in my family. In fact one of my uncles may still hold a few state records in weightlifting back in the 60's.
    oh, nice! Yes, usually the guys in skirts tossing this stuff, especially the caber, are burly. The sheaf toss is not for minis, though.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-10-17 at 4:13pm.

My initial thought.... if you don't *need* to work... why do it? The stress +++ If you want to move you can go ANYWHERE you'd like. If I had to choose between the countries you quoted... Norway would be it!

I've been early retired now for 10 years. I can't comprehend wanting to move for work. I'd find another hobby if your bored.

Ive looked at a few places to live, but I have to have year round warm weather. I'll just stick to taking vacations at this point.

Good luck with whatever you chose, I wouldn't give up the citizenship to soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    My initial thought.... if you don't *need* to work... why do it?
    It seems a more honorable way of gaining residency and leeching off their healthcare system than simply buying my way in :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems a more honorable way of gaining residency and leeching off their healthcare system than simply buying my way in :-)
    bae, I'm in Canada and am Canadian and therefore have no opinion on your original question. I do live close by, though (Gulf Islands) and I'd just like to say that wow, your island community will miss you. You've made so many contributions over the years, from your current emergency-services work to the earlier work I seem to vaguely remember you talking about on the old boards about maybe housing? Whatever it was, I know you've been a terrific citizen in your community. I know you'll be missed.

You have engineering experience, biological experience, experience with borders and protection, and a neighbor who could put in a good word. However you still might have some stiff competition:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/a-9-...aboolainternal

An old friend moved to New Zealand years ago and plays in their national symphony. He was visiting the states last year and I asked him if he ever would consider moving back. As I remember it, he said he and his wife initially maintained a dual citizenship, but taxes became such an ordeal that he had recently denounced his US citizenship. Therefore, could never move back as a citizen. Apparently the denouement is permanent, no turning back. He said the US tax laws for dual citizen ship were so murky that the best NZ accountants could never seem to get it right and it had become a routine hassle. He said friends in similar situations had been fined large amounts while trying to do the right thing. Second hand and cursory, but maybe a thought.

Geila
    What a wonderful opportunity. Norway seems like a fantastic place to live.

What an exciting prospect. I'm of the "all in" camp, as I'd likely want to assimilate into my new home and leave behind the old. So there's one vote on the side of renouncing US citizenship.

Being mostly ignorant of both countries, besides general knowledge gleaned here and there, I went to wiki. Fascinating, and I do say I've learned something today. Not knowing your goals, but making some assumptions, I vote for Iceland. It just seems like a better *fit* for what your online presence says to me.

My personal concern would be a restriction of outdoor activity due to temperature and seasonally restricted daylight. I love in Florida, and when visiting our vacation home in NC - I have noticed and missed the sunshine during daytime hours. I can't imagine that an adjustment to the semi-arctic conditions would be easy.

My prediction: bae stays right where he is at.

The reason: He has got it damn good and he knows it!

Thread Information