Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The north korea problem

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh, look--now he's considering using military force in Venezuela.
    He reminds me of a dull-witted child playing with toy soldiers, except somebody may get hurt here.
    And he has every reason in the world to divert attention from his money laundering/election fixing/Russian collusion.
    I thought what he said was that he wouldn't rule out the use of military force. And why should he? Why deny yourself any options for a future that is impossible to predict?

I would be disappointed in a President who ruled out the use of military force against Canada in any future conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I thought what he said was that he wouldn't rule out the use of military force. And why should he? Why deny yourself any options for a future that is impossible to predict?

I would be disappointed in a President who ruled out the use of military force against Canada in any future conflict.
    Or California. If they become traitorous and secede.

We've done so in the past several times.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There's nothing wrong with contingency planning. A friend of mine who's into wargaming was telling me of a California secession game he plated a few weeks ago. Apparently about two thirds of the State's area is occupied by red state voters, with most of the rebels clustering around a few coastal cities. The game assumed about half the National Guard would swing each way, but personnel at the larger federal military installations would stay loyal. The coastal cities soon had issues with water, power and food as outside supplies were reduced and ports blockaded. Several foreign powers issued protests and sanctions, but had little ability to project meaningful power into the theater. Demonstrations and protests in support of California were sometimes violent but manageable. The economy suffered, and refugees were a problem, but the State was pacified over the course of about three months with relatively little in the way of major engagements.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would think Alaska. Remember how Todd Palin was a member of a secessionist party and Sarah attended their convention with her?

There are also separatist movements in Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

There's nothing wrong with contingency planning. A friend of mine who's into wargaming was telling me of a California secession game he plated a few weeks ago. Apparently about two thirds of the State's area is occupied by red state voters, with most of the rebels clustering around a few coastal cities. The game assumed about half the National Guard would swing each way, but personnel at the larger federal military installations would stay loyal. The coastal cities soon had issues with water, power and food as outside supplies were reduced and ports blockaded. Several foreign powers issued protests and sanctions, but had little ability to project meaningful power into the theater. Demonstrations and protests in support of California were sometimes violent but manageable. The economy suffered, and refugees were a problem, but the State was pacified over the course of about three months with relatively little in the way of major engagements.
    While that must've been an enjoyable fantasy game I suspect that if we decide to secede we will likely not attempt to do so by taking up our muskets. That was done in the past and shown to be an ineffective method. And that also strikes me as more of a redstate style of secession. All we'll have to do is point out how much more bigly he'll win in 2020 without us and trump will get out his magic executive order pen and proclaim us no longer American.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    While that must've been an enjoyable fantasy game I suspect that if we decide to secede we will likely not attempt to do so by taking up our muskets. That was done in the past and shown to be an ineffective method. And that also strikes me as more of a redstate style of secession. All we'll have to do is point out how much more bigly he'll win in 2020 without us and trump will get out his magic executive order pen and proclaim us no longer American.
    LDAHL'S post had me getting somewhat depressed; this is much more encouraging. After all, the Left Coast is anything but Trump country--maybe he would just let us slink away. Viva Cascadia!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    LDAHL'S post had me getting somewhat depressed; this is much more encouraging. After all, the Left Coast is anything but Trump country--maybe he would just let us slink away. Viva Cascadia!
    Yup. I'd sign up for Cascadia in a flash. As long as we draw the line far enough north :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm trying to think of an example from history where a political entity divested itself of territory simply for being annoying. Apart from the constitutional issues around a US president evicting states by executive order, I think if Trump had that kind of power he would simply partition California into new states for a more congenial electoral situation.

Apart from the constitutional issues around a US president evicting states by executive order, I think if Trump had that kind of power he would simply partition California into new states for a more congenial electoral situation.
    True enough. But given trump's obvious lack of concern about the constitution or rule of law generally it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to do it. Especially if someone told him it would make people think he was the Best President Ever by doing so. And it'd certainly be simpler than trying to split the state up, considering that even Fresno, Merced and Stanislaus counties in the heart of the Central Valley, went for Clinton. There's only so much republican electoral chicanery that can be done when almost twice as many people of a given population voted for the democrat.

Thread Information