Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The north korea problem

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And he has every reason in the world to divert attention from his money laundering/election fixing/Russian collusion.
    That crossed my mind too.

Kim should realize Trump only cares about his base/America first. I think he would risk a war others have avoided out of concern for South Korean civilian casualties. But Kim is too much of a megalomaniac to get it. I wonder if any of his own people have tried to take him out, or if they will now.

Given that Kim's a mental case all logic might be out, but I've wondered what he could stand to gain by instigating a war or attack? The closest I could come is uniting a broken country against a common, if not invented, enemy.

Obama got some heat for being weak on foreign policy. Even if you take Trump out of the equation the guys driving the bus are more hawkish than we've seen for a while and the our generals seem to have a lot of say in it. That seems to be what the majority of voters wanted, but when it comes down to it becoming reality I wonder if it's a little like the ACA where opinion changes once you get there.

Like someone said, never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

One thing that troubles me - if you remove names and countries out of all the current threats, you really can't tell whether they were made by Kim Jong Un - or Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    One thing that troubles me - if you remove names and countries out of all the current threats, you really can't tell whether they were made by Kim Jong Un - or Donald Trump.
    Yeah, but he started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Given that Kim's a mental case all logic might be out, but I've wondered what he could stand to gain by instigating a war or attack?
    How could he instigate a war in a place that we are still at war with? (The Korean war never ended)

I woke up this morning, checked the news, saw we had not bombed or been bombed, so I went running. Crazy to start a day that way

Kim Jong Un has been making those pronouncements for some time. Prudent adults ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Yeah, but he started it.
    I was wondering which 'he' in particular was being mentioned. At first, I thought Roger was adding a touch of humour. Has the US not been doing military exercises in the neighbourhood? This whole exercise has a long history behind it going back decades.
    China does not want more North Koreans refugees flooding across the border, South Korea doesn't want to lose its progress, Japan doesn't want nuclear in its neighbourhood. The current p!ssing match is very foolish/childish and benefits no one.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I was wondering which 'he' in particular was being mentioned. At first, I thought Roger was adding a touch of humour.
    Yes. You know how it is when the fighting kids get sent to the office and they each say, he started it.

Unfortunately it's little more serious then a school yard fight. Some of the talking heads have compared it to the Cuban missile crisis. So far I think it is just bluster and not that serious, but time will tell. There are definitely some new elements in play compared to past and recent history.

I lived in Seoul for a couple of years, along with about 15 million other people. I am thinking these days of my former English students and their children and neighbours and friends.

Thread Information