Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to determine cat compatibility?

Geila

How long does it take to determine cat compatibility?

A few days ago a scrawny looking stray tabby cat came around crying plaintively and looking for food. He's a very sweet and affectionate cat and must have been a pet at some point. I took him to the vet but no chip. I've been feeding him and seeing if he might get along with the other pets. I'm willing to keep him if it works out. The dogs are fine with him and he's ok with them, he likes the poodle. But our female cat is hostile with him. She hisses, growls and vocalizes at him to leave. So far he has been submissive and retreats but a couple of times he has done little hisses back at her.

This is a new situation for me. How long should I give the two cats to get acquainted and determine if they will get along? I'd rather not take him to the animal shelter, but if the two fight then I will have to do that or try to find him a home by posting on Nextdoor. My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and the new one would be too if he stays.

Had cats for 40+ years. Females are often called Princess for a reason. They can be total Divas. Usually not much fighting just dont throw them together too fast. Keep them apart for a quarantine period and let them smell each other. Feed separately.

It does sound pretty typical. Can take some time and it may never be that they will be "best friends" but will coexist. Critical that they are neutered!!

My two girls still think they are the queens of the households and the boys are dirty serfs. Just life in our household.

Geila
    Last night he slept in the garage and she was in the house and they both seemed happy with that arrangement. I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes. He's such a lovely cat, I wonder if he would be better off with a family where he can just relax and be in the house. He follows me everywhere, comes when I call him, and wants to be petted and talked to. My girl is usually in the house during the day so I don't know how that would work out. My girl is spayed and the boy looks like he's neutered.

And yes, my cat is the boss of the household here too. And she's quite the snob!

Thanks so much for taking in this cat. He is not better off with anyone else! There justare not other homes for stray cats.

Let your princess diva be the diva, so what. A focus on him will fill her days and give her something to do, even if it is ragey behavior. Haha. The main problem cmes if they start peeing in inappropriate places out of pique, that is untenable. But just some hissy fits--not a big deal.

We had to give up our foster dog, who we really wanted to keep, because she beat up on our dog. Actual physical fights, every chance she got to him. We had to keep them separated and that was not a way we could live forever.

Geila
    Yes, I'm worried about the peeing and destructive behavior possibility. The batch of pets I have right now is the least destructive one I've ever had. A boxer girl, a poodle and a cat and very minimal destruction. Probably because I'm home with them.

Ok, I'll give it a week and see how they do. Give the boy a chance to work his charm on the princess!

I don't have an answer. The only cats I've ever had wandered into my life of their own decision and have remained outdoor cats. Current cat, KuboCat, and I went round and round yesterday about trying a flea collar. I won this morning.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's not an exact science. Quite some time ago, we introduced a new cat to one of our most difficult cats ever, and they were fast friends within 3 days (DH had no patience with the slow introduction process and just opened the door). With our current cats, it took Silvio 2 years before fully settling in and reaching the point where he and Ogden are good buddies, although they had certainly settled into an uneasy truce long before that.

I brought Buddy home September 1,2016,he showed up at my friends house in PA,couldn't stay because of allergies.
    My queen diva Bella boo Radley has been with me since January 2012 she might be a little spoiled, lol.
    They had a couple of turf related skirmishes but settled in less than a month.
    They are now the mischief partners,she was rapidly becoming a couch potato,she needed him
    I have separate feed stations and 2 litter boxes,they swap.They don't sleep together but Buddy, aka Mr.B.
    is very inquisitive and occasionally takes a powder,either upstairs or down the outside hall,she waits patiently for him.
    She is spayed and declawed, he is neutered.
    Give them
    This is a small apartment too

Geila
    The cats are getting along a bit better. My diva is setting boundaries with the stray but not attacking him.

Question about health: How quickly and how thoroughly do I need to have him checked out?

We've allowed him in the house a few times and last night I applied flea meds on him (Frontline Plus). He's dirty so I'll need to clean him down with wet wipes. I've never attempted bathing a cat. I also want to have him vaccinated to make sure he doesn't spread any diseases he might have and to keep him healthy. He's eating dry kibble really well and he used the litter box last night.

What do you guys recommend?

My wonderful vet retired at the end of July so I'll be trying out a new vet. I'm also wondering if I should take him to the animal shelter and have them do all the exams, vaccinations, microchip, etc. If I do that, the adoption fee is $80 if he's under 6, and $35 if over 6. But it includes everything that they do to make a pet ready for adoption, including the annual license fee. At the vet I would be looking at close to $300 for the same services. The only downside is that the shelter might pose some health hazards due to the volume of animals they service.

I would go with my regular vet. Did someone else take over your old vet's practice? I have had my regular vet give me a bit of a deal when I am rescuing someone.

Thread Information