Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August Frugals!

Yppej
    I was out walking and saw an estate sale. Got an end table for $5 for when SIL visits. They were $200 to $300 on up at furniture stores when I was mattress shopping with DS yesterday.

Also got a matching 3 piece towel set on sale at Target yesterday for $10. I am all set for when she comes now except for food and some money for whatever activities we do.

I really haven't been very frugal this summer, but today we had a great frugal. We went on a mushroom walk in Lynn Woods with the Boston Mycological Club. We aren't members, but it was open to the public. We all searched for mushrooms and then gathered together and some of the club's experts identified and discussed what we had found. Free geeky fun, and it was a perfect day to be outdoors!

Yesterday went out of our usual breakfast. Dinner was grilled chicken, roasted squash, and a piece of grilled/buttered 10gr bread I made last Sunday.

Breakfast today: fresh farm eggs (I pay a whopping $2/doz) with ham/cheese on toast (more of that bread) and a piece of toast with jam-the bread is now gone.

Dinner will be: smoked pork loin (we bought a big one in March and sectioned it and vacuum sealed the pieces for the freezer). Alongside will be roasted potatoes and green beans from our CSA.

I'm trying VERY hard to keep up with CSA foods and now our garden is starting to produce fabulous food as well. It's a tough time for eathing at our house

Yppej
    I didn't know there were mycological clubs. Cool.

Participated in an all-day focus group Sunday and got paid for it. We were running behind (lunch arrived late), so the organizers offered us an extra $20 if we agreed to stay late--all but one were able to do so, so whee, extra money! I didn't even have to miss work to do it, so I didn't lose money on the other end.

Yppej
    Opted for the cheaper bathroom caulking at half the price. It looks grungy before it loses its waterproofness due to our semihard water, so I redo it regularly.
    Last edited by Yppej; 8-22-17 at 4:51am.

I packed my breakfast and lunch yesterday (and DH packed his) and we had leftovers for dinner

Stayed home to watch eclipse rather than driving to national park to watch eclipse (they had glasses, we did not.)
    Ate leftovers for lunch, then went out for dollar ice cream cones for dinner.

Yppej
    I made use of someone else's eclipse glasses also. One pair took care of everyone in the office who was interested.

We did that in my office too, Yppej. My manager had a pair and shared them around, which was nice of her. I believe she had gotten them free from a local eye wear store, so frugal points to her as well!
    I'm in a 3-day series of all-day meetings, and they have been providing a ton of food for us. I checked with the meeting organizer at the end of the day yesterday, and she told me it was fine to take whatever I wanted, so I brought cookies home to DH. He had an unpleasant medical procedure yesterday, and was very happy to have cookies!

Thread Information