Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: August Frugals!

Miserable fail... several hundred dollars yesterday on son's car. I'm grateful for the "stash" I've been saving. Now it's time to start again. Crossing fingers that September will be better, but I know it won't... tuition.

Okay, and as depressing as the above sounds, it all really does make me laugh, as it is always something and we always seem to survive. LOL.

Wishing a good August to everyone else!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    I am helping my son with back to school expenses - haircut, parking pass, etc. So far it has not been a budget buster. I am on a diet to hopefully avoid having to buy more clothes for myself. Right now I am pretty well set for fall, though I lost my winter gloves last spring and have a few other items to get. Back to school coupons are helping.

Uggh. Spent a good chunk of today in dentist's offices, consulting. Two cracked teeth (one a wisdom tooth; the other from an encounter with what is now the world's most expensive jar of mixed nuts). And no more insurance left this year. At this point I could soldier on till next year (coverage resets); neither tooth hurts. But that's still more than four months away. So now the thinking is to bunch up this work and previous dental work for both DW and me and some other medical issues we attended to this year and see if we can get the medical deduction out of taxes. I wonder what else I can bunch into 2017...

The interesting frugal: on the way out of one office, I asked if there was a cash discount since there wasn't even a point to their filing insurance paperwork. Turns out there is -- about 20-25% of the bill. The other office refused a cash discount, claiming that if you already had insurance, they couldn’t give you a break even if insurance wasn't going to pay. Sounds like nonsense to me, but some is better than nothing. And I can ask again when I get there.

Stopped at a nearby grocery store I never go to for a couple of fill-in items and found stock-up items on sale, so I grabbed them too. I also shipped off some camera gear I never use anymore. I won't get much back compared to what I paid for it back in the day, but the day was almost 12 years ago and it beats paying someone to take it as electronic junk.

Today is the first day the air conditioning has gone on in more than a week. It's just too humid and there are thunderstorms in the vicinity, so that won't change soon.

And our neighbor has started gifting us with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. Nothing like 'em! Once I have a steadier supply from him I will turn some around into tomato sauces and pickles for him. But we'll enjoy them, too.

Tired. Gonna get ready for one dental appointment tomorrow. I need to look for the checkbook...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve: I think spending $$ on your teeth instead of crap is very frugal, if not inexpensive. I am always amazed at people who have $$ for new cars, fancy phones and TVs, but don't have money for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

The other office refused a cash discount, claiming that if you already had insurance, they couldn’t give you a break even if insurance wasn't going to pay. Sounds like nonsense to me, but some is better than nothing. And I can ask again when I get there.
    Having done insurance contracting for my healthcare facility, it's true. They cannot discount you below the contracted insurance rate. BUT they ARE obligated to give you the contracted discount.

Yppej
    Went to a store that was going out of business and found while their prices were low most of what they had was junk. Spent $10 on socks and other basics. This will be my clothing purchase of the week. I am also comparison shopping for linens for when I have company. My towels have holes and my sheets are discolored, so I will benefit when the guest leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Having done insurance contracting for my healthcare facility, it's true. They cannot discount you below the contracted insurance rate. BUT they ARE obligated to give you the contracted discount.
    Thanks, Gardnr. I asked again today, got the same reason for declining, and said nicely that I thought it was kind of lame. I'm guessing that people coming in with no insurance get a different price. But that's just me guessing and my assumption that the cash price would be lower because I cannot believe it could be higher. For what this cost they should have sent for me in a Rolls-Royce.

The other place did tell me they take a "haircut" with my insurance provider and gave me that discount from their "rack rate". It might have been more neighborly of the other place to explain that they had done that, too. Unless they didn't. I should look at the bill I got for the other crowns (same place) and see what I got charged. They kept trying to add nitrous oxide to the bill, too, even though I didn't get it. So it's worth a review. Tomorrow.

rosa, I'm with you. DW and I could have taken a nice cruise on what we've spent on dental work for both of us this year. But it hardly would be worth taking the cruise if all we could do was gum our food. Gotta take care of ourselves. We're old enough that things fall apart on their own; we don't need to make them worse by neglecting them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Some sandals of mine have the color wearing off. I touched up two pairs with exactly matching nail polish I had, less than $1 a bottle at Walmart, and will try a third pair this weekend with some black glossy paint I have in the house.

Yppej, that's a great idea. I was watching a youtube about touching up leather on Coach purses, and they used furniture touch up sticks. That might work well for other shoes or sandals.

Bought new grandbaby 12 articles of clothing at Goodwill for 14 dollars total. included onesies, t-shirts with those mits, a great cotton shirt size 9 months for later, 2 pairs of pants, and two gorgeous dresses--one smocked purple dress and my favorite, a vintage white muslin dress with a Peter Pan color and eyelet sleeves.
    Unfortunately, shipping was very unfrugal--13 dollars for the one price box that is about 8 inches by 11 inches.
    Shipping is insane these days.

Thread Information