Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Achilles Heel Thread

Geila

Angry Achilles Heel Thread

You know that one thing that always causes you to stumble and struggle? That thing you're always "working on?" You make progress, then backslide, then give up, then try again, experience some success!, only to backslide again... And you get embarrassed talking about it because you just know people will roll their eyes and think, "Here we go again."

Yeah, this is a thread for venting about THAT.

For me it's my eating habits.

I had leftover chicken and salad for lunch and felt quite virtuous. Then around dinner time I felt a sudden craving for popcorn. And for whatever reason, I decided, why not? So I had a bowl of popcorn. Then the pepperoni pizza in the fridge started calling my name. So I ate that too. That was my dinner: popcorn and pizza. And afterwards I felt super crappy. The combination of sodium, bad fat, and carbs hit me like a ton of bricks.

I'm going cold turkey on the low-carb eating. As of right now! In the past I've been able to do it in phases but it's not working and I'm sick of feeling crappy. The first 3 days are always the hardest and I'm going to use this thread to b*tch and moan about it.

Feel free to use it for your own venting needs.

Yppej
    I am working on lowering carbs also, and finally gave up potatoes which I had a great sentimental attachment to. My mother ate them 3 times a day as a child, and they kept her alive during World War 2. She cooked them all the time so they are a comfort food to me, and I have even grown them in my garden. But with my slowing metabolism I just couldn't lose weight eating below ground vegetables. But I could relapse with potatoes, or with the empty calories in a glass of wine.

Bad boys are another recurring vice, and it will be a year next month since I completely set aside the last one. The ones I like are no good for me, and the ones that are good for me I don't like.

Also I have to be on guard against negativity at work, especially since I sit next to the chief company complainer and some of it can rub off.

Decluttering also comes and goes in bursts as well.

I am inconsistent with exercise.

It's the human condition. Good luck to you.

Oh for me it is getting paperwork and money things done. So challenging, and embarrassing to talk about. Right now There isn't any emergency type things but I really need to check my bank balances. I spent a lot of money last month and I am still nervous weeks later. I did however pay a bill on time, get medical tests, and return my library books

I feel like I need often to know I can call a friend right after or have something good I can do. I just need to get out of the anxiety of handling it

Hmm, do I have an Achilles heel? Teacher Terry and Ultralite, do you think you could help me out here? - lol!

i actually found my old thread about my studio yesterday. A year later it is either much better or marginally improved depending on if you are me or ultralite.

Examples:
    a year ago I was trying to get all of the bags of dry clay into buckets but I didn't have enought buckets and they were all piled in the middle of the floor.
    Now all the clay is in buckets, some of the buckets are in use as legs for a glazing table, and I am slowly using up the clay and removing buckets (currently three empty ones waiting to go to school)

a year ago the shelves were full of toys my kids had left behind.
    now one shelf is full of toys and the others are full of pottery related items

a year ago my soapmaking stuff had been used once and was scattered everywhere and I couldn't find some of it
    now it is pared down, all gathered under one small table and I have used it 4 times this year and will be offering soap for sale in my booth next weekend and when I need a new bar of soap for the shower, I just go get one.

a year ago there were plaster molds everywhere, some clean, some dirty. Now there are clean plaster molds on a designated shelf and a slowly decreasing pile of dirty plaster molds next to the clay buckets.

there are more examples.

the only thing that has gotten worse (much worse - because the kitchen cabinets came encased in cardboard) is the pile of cardboard. I should set aside a few days to mulch everywhere and then recycle, but it isn't a priority.

Cauliflower is a pretty good substitute for potatoes--particularly mashed and in fauxtato salad.

CL, I'm in the GREAT PROGRESS camp for your studio. How wonderful! congratulations.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Cauliflower is a pretty good substitute for potatoes--particularly mashed and in fauxtato salad.
    Though very gas inducing in my case. I am actually growing some in my garden, and its low productivity is something I am handling okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I'm going cold turkey on the low-carb eating. As of right now! In the past I've been able to do it in phases but it's not working and I'm sick of feeling crappy.
    Quitting carbs is tough! Your body is used to converting lots of carbs into glucose. Take away most of the carbs and the hormones/liver/digestive system that's used to processing high volumes has to make some changes. On a macro level, they're not immediate. The first three days are about the worst. When I went from low-ish carbs to almost-no carbs, I still spent a few days feeling weak and headache-y and a little out of sorts.

It does get better. Now I have kind of the opposite effect: if I eat something with a lot of carbs in it, the carb spike and my body's (over)reaction to it kind of reverberates for a couple of days before things settle down again. I have to say that, with almost-no carbs, I rarely have the "FEED ME!!!" days I used to have. That helps provide me the incentive to say no to "cheat days" and the like. Of course, seeing the results from the bad behavior on a blood-glucose meter adds incentive, too.

ObThread My Achilles heel has to be the last 20% of pretty much any project. That could be the putzy trim work after painting. Or finding a place for the recycling that's not easy to recycle (cross-town trip, limited hours, etc.). I don't like that about myself, but it's existed long enough that way that I try to find ways to address it. It's not easy.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

A blood glucose meter is a wonderful tool--especially if you're a bio-geek.

Speaking of bio-geekery, I've been looking into autophagy lately. This creaky old body needs a tuneup.

My Achilles heel is farther up--my knees. And I often say my mitochondria are MIA. See line 2, above.

CL: I would say you have made great progress in our studio) I think that getting rid of stuff and organizing eventually becomes self-reinforcing because you feel better. At least for me it has.

Thread Information