Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSU refuses to allow white nationalist to speak on campus...

OSU refuses to allow white nationalist to speak on campus...

Thoughts on this?

https://www.thelantern.com/2017/09/o...-campus-space/

I don't like OSU being the arbiter of free speech. I think it is a mistake to refuse Spencer.
    Sunshine is the best disinfectant. We need to expose him to the blistering sun of better ideas and crest him that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thoughts on this?

https://www.thelantern.com/2017/09/o...-campus-space/

I don't like OSU being the arbiter of free speech. I think it is a mistake to refuse Spencer.
    Sunshine is the best disinfectant. We need to expose him to the blistering sun of better ideas and crest him that way.
    You are absolutely right. If universities use the public safety excuse, they basically assign a veto power to the alsofascists or anyone else who wants to make threats.

As long as they don't let his supporters drive to the event I don't see a problem.

I have been talking to many friends on the left about this. They all agree with the university.

I am frightening that the totalitarians will win this culture war and our freedoms of speech will be curtailed and clipped.

How in the hell did free speech become a conservative value?
    I am flabbergasted.

I was accused of "hiding behind free speech" when I said that I thought OSU should let the dumbass speak and that we should protest, engage him in debate, challenge his ideas, and rhetorically take him down.

Williamsmith
    The First Amendment as far as I know doesn't dictate ones right to free speech at the venue of choice of the speaker. Just the right to speak no matter how stupid the principles. Provided OSU is genuine in its reasons for denial of venue, and based on their evaluation of risk to safety it appears they are.....OSU not only has the right of denial but the duty to maintain a safe environment for its students and faculty as well as visitors. Given the events at Charlottesville and the history of events like this at Berkeley etc. I think the schools have made a wise and prudent decision. Perhaps Spencer should petition Tuskegee University or Xavier for a speech ...I'm sure they would be mighty kind and bless his sweet little heart.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have been talking to many friends on the left about this. They all agree with the university.

I am frightening that the totalitarians will win this culture war and our freedoms of speech will be curtailed and clipped.

I am flabbergasted.

I was accused of "hiding behind free speech" when I said that I thought OSU should let the dumbass speak and that we should protest, engage him in debate, challenge his ideas, and rhetorically take him down.
    I'm on the left (quite obvious by now, no?) and I don't side with the university. I might not agree with the speaker but I find it too much like the days of Hitler in my homeland (Austria) to veto the speaker from appearing at university just because what they have to say may not be liked by one and all. I don't believe in white supremacy personally - I married a Mexican national as an example, and most of my best friends and the people I trust the most overall are of a different race than my own - but I also am turned off by the University rejecting this speaker.

To me, free speech means just that - free speech. I don't apply any limitations or qualifiers to it and I also don't believe in being "triggered" or in "safe spaces" at universities. Scary thought - do I have latent conservative tendencies here? It's so simple to me - if you don't want to hear what this speaker has to say - duh? You don't go listen to them speak. How hard is that? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You are absolutely right. If universities use the public safety excuse, they basically assign a veto power to the alsofascists or anyone else who wants to make threats.
    Please don't go into toxic shock......I may be a hard core liberal but I agree with you completely here. Rob

More or less by default.

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

- William F. Buckley, Jr.

To be fair, could you really call the current climate on campus "liberal"? Leftist, perhaps. Authoritarian, perhaps, with a dash of fascist tendencies. Maybe a sort of fundamentalism built around identity politics. To such thinking, there can be no marketplace of ideas. Just a sort of single-payer prescriptive orthodoxy.

I wouldn't call that "liberal" in the classic sense of the word. More like militant snowflakery.

Interestingly enough, NR has a recent piece on the difference between liberalism and leftism:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...nothing-common
    Last edited by LDAHL; 9-12-17 at 12:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Please don't go into toxic shock......I may be a hard core liberal but I agree with you completely here. Rob
    I can respect that. You may want to relieve me of some of my property "for the common good", but at least you'll allow me to complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can respect that. You may want to relieve me of some of my property "for the common good", but at least you'll allow me to complain about it.
    We just haven't reached the mandatory-reeducation-camp stage yet.

Thread Information