Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    what does the bolded mean? You think Charlottesville law enforcement could have kept an idiot from driving his car into a crowd?
    The idiot, as you call him, was caught up in the emotion of it all probably reinforced by online contacts, I suspect, but that answer will come out at some point. Do I believe that he would have done this after thinking rationally about doing this. What the impact on his family in its community would be? If he could actually kill someone? No.

What steps could have anticipated and averted this tragedy? I don't pretend to have the answers to individual questions like this one but I am sure enforcement agencies around the world are examining them. What do Boston and its agencies do now to prepare for the Boston marathon as a result of the recent attack? Perhaps I am naive but I do believe that when such tragedies occur, the attending enforcement agencies at all levels do an in-depth review and try to see what could have been done differently to achieve a better result. It is very painful for those who are dedicated and committed to protecting society to go through terrible tragedies like this.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Also be aware that there is an anti fascist movement from the left and they are equally as culpable.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/neo-na...r-left-antifa/

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Also be aware that there is an anti fascist movement from the left and they are equally as culpable.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/neo-na...r-left-antifa/
    Interesting that hate wears many colours of shirts. Whatever the colour, personal responsibility for society and one's thoughts, feelings and actions remains. Note my signature.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The police were not prepared and came too late. They should have anticipated that there would be a ton of protestors and been ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The police were not prepared and came too late. They should have anticipated that there would be a ton of protestors and been ready.
    Whenever someone starts bloviating about "all sides" or "both sides," ask them if they remember the Women's March. It wasn't that long ago.
    I never showed up at a demonstration or a rally with a long gun or a club.

I agree; police should have done their research on the proclivities of neo-Nazi thugs and made an appropriate show of force.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The idiot, as you call him, was caught up in the emotion of it all probably reinforced by online contacts, I suspect, but that answer will come out at some point. Do I believe that he would have done this after thinking rationally about doing this. What the impact on his family in its community would be? If he could actually kill someone? No.
    So what would you do? Operate a massive domestic spying program to monitor his online contacts and step in before their pernicious impact could manifest itself?

Terry,

no shots were fired, no property was damaged. In the crazy world of protesting, that is pretty amazing, considering that a high percentage of protestors had guns.

I dont like agreeing with Terry Mcauliife, but that was his take on it as well.

what exactly do you expect police to do, rush in there and wrestle people to the ground? Wont that escalate it all? Wont that hurt people?

During tribute protests to the Sainted One, Michal Brown, police here deliberately did not engage with protestors and they allowed property to burn to the ground. The idea here was people are more important than buildings.

You regularly bemoan police brutality. I cant understand your position, and apparently the position of others here, that cops who did not touch protestors were (once again,) the bad guys. Jeez. I repeat: no shots fired, no property damaged. That is a damned good record.

That a young woman killed by the guy who drove a car theough the crowd is very sad. Cops cant be blamed for that one.

A young black man was badly beaten by a group of armed thugs who were apparently too cowardly to challenge him to a fair fight. Only one of them has been identified so far. I bet that wasn't the only case.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    During tribute protests to the Sainted One, Michal Brown, police here deliberately did not engage with protestors and they allowed property to burn to the ground. The idea here was people are more important than buildings.
    if that was policy so be it I guess, but the problem here wasn't failure to protect buildings but failure to protect PEOPLE - if people were fighting each other in the streets as has been reported and the police didn't step in then ...
    Trees don't grow on money

What, precisely, *should* the police have done, and when?

What should their rules of engagement have been?

I serve as a training crowd member for the Washington State Patrol when they do their riot training (one year we got to be zombies for an hour too, just for fun). It's tricky business, the police can't just wade into a lawful gathering and start going at it with batons...

Thread Information