Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    What will change this ugly white supremacy attitude?
    I don't know, but I just read several articles at Fox, NYT, and CNN and their comments. The hate that some people write in their comments is breathtaking, and I mean that in the worse way.

we travel a lot. Go through any rural area of the south and you will see gigantic confederate flags flying in front of houses or on poles in pick up trucks. I don't understand what the purpose is? Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I can understand both sides of the controversy of statues of Lee, for instance, but I am not sure what the solution is. I do know large groups of white men chanting anti-Jew and anti-black slogans is despicable and shameful. The craziest thing is Trump not condemning them when his own daughter, son in law and grandchildren are Jewish. But they live their lives with guards, in secure facilities and transportation. And he has to placate Miller and Bannon and pander to his base.

The revision of history is going on world -wide. People who changed the access to education for the masses who had limited opportunities before but were reflecting the thinking of their era had schools named after them. to honour their contribution to the good of all. They also instituted abusive practices and schooling taking aboriginal children from their families - those children belonged nowhere as a result caught between two civilizations. The names of the schools are now being changed.
    Russia is rewriting the history cleansing the story of Stalin and his terrible abuse of the population.

May I suggest that one not confuse two separate issues.

There is the deliberate attack of a definite thought or belief - white supremacy opposed to freedom of thought and equality of all citizens, governing action. That results in terrorism and terrorist acts. That leads to murder of innocents in their own church and campaigns promoting that belief as acceptable and tolerated in one's society That is unacceptable and must be opposed vigorously.

Then there is the revision of history. There needs to be a discussion and review of the legality, the impact and need for change. There is the legal process for all of that as Bae indicated in his links.
    Don't blur the line between the two totally separate issues.

ETA - think about a fox and a chicken. Should they be equally free to move, live and have their being? Absolutely! Are their life's agendas totally compatible? But if the fox marches into the chicken house and asserts its demands on the chickens' space, boundaries are needed and must be enforced at the highest level, IMHO anyway.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace

One thing I love about Buddhism is the concept of non-clinging. "Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. [They] are guiding means; they are not absolute truth." (Thich Nhat Hanh)

The sectarianism we are seeing this weekend is dangerous and scary. Senseless violence.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    This article talks about Lee, and why he is not an honorable man or deserving of a statue:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...al-lee/529038/

A person's character is most clearly revealed not by how they treat their equals or superiors, but their subordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Washington, Jefferson, Jackson et al are not known for treason. Lee was.

To quote the bumper sticker, "You lost 150 years ago. Get over it."
    I think it could be argued that this is a revisionist outlook. In the context of the times, the States believed the Union was a compact between the States to create a Federal government to represent their collective interests. Those States who eventually decided the Union was no longer representing them effectively saw secession as a logical and reasonable response. It became treason after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace.
    To follow that to a logical conclusion, do you ever wonder why the Federal Government continues to allow the States to exist?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's a pity we didn't let them secede.

This pathetic need to assert superiority because of race or ethnic background--and backing it up with violence--is an absolute admission of inferiority, IMO.

Trump's "all sides" comment was probably written for him by a Fox staffer. I bet Bannon, Gorka, and Miller were beside themselves with glee. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Trump's "all sides" comment was probably written for him by a Fox staffer. I bet Bannon, Gorka, and Miller were beside themselves with glee. Disgusting.
    Indeed. That pathetic coward is perfectly capable of string together the words radical Islamic terrorism, so I know he has at least enough mental accuity to have uttered the words white nationalism. But since these dicks were a key part of his base he won't call out their behavior. the plausible deniability that his non-racist supporters weilded during the campaign is no longer believable.

Williamsmith
    In order the understand the response by some to the removal of Confederate statues, you must be willing to read the perspective defined by the naming of the war....."The War of Northern Agression."

As far as the unrest and protests.......not all people are really who they say they are....and many are paid or sponsored by political entities.

So you're saying democrats staged a nazi rally to make trump look bad? Unbelieavable

Yppej
    I liked the Charlottesville city manager's comments at the news conference yesterday. Instead of blaming outside agitators, he asked people to reach across divides and get to know people of different backgrounds.

Thread Information