Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Do they have statues of Washington and Jefferson in England?
    There's a statute of Washington in Trafalgar Square. The story goes that since George Washington once said he'd never stand on English ground, the statue stands on soil imported from America.

Last edited by Alan; 8-13-17 at 12:33pm. Reason: Oops! Should have read all the posts before responding.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    there is no evidence of any voting machines being hacked by Russians.
    The Washington Post did an analysis. Detroit voting records seem murky. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0b344285968e Otherwise, there's no direct evidence. I remain suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I remain suspicious.
    Why do you remain suspicious?

Trump decided to court ignorant, racist people so he will not call them out now. He needs his voter base. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why do you remain suspicious?
    Because a lot of our polling places/voter machines can be easily flipped, and Russia is well-known for interfering in other countries' political affairs.
    We need to go back to traceable universal paper ballots, IMO.
    Russia has a long history with der Gropenfuhrer...

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Lets see, Air B n B can cut off business from people whose ideology they dont like, but bakers have to serve people whose idealogy they dont like.

That doesnt seem consistent to me.
    The difference is in the groups. One is a hate group that wants to get rid of and suppress those of specific race, color or religions.
    The other group is asking for a wedding cake to celebrate love and commitment. How does the concept of being lbgtq hurt anyone. They are not telling anyone they should be lgbtq by asking to bake a cake .

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Lets see, Air B n B can cut off business from people whose ideology they dont like, but bakers have to serve people whose idealogy they dont like.

That doesnt seem consistent to me.
    I have no idea what this is in reference to, but off the top of my head I'd be willing to provide more latitude of choice to accept/decline customers when the business is that of someone having people come stay in their home. Now if the baker regularly invites their clients for a sleepover (perhaps some do this to get to know the customer better before they are willing to bestow them with the blessing of a wedding cake) maybe I'd understand their reticence at serving a gay couple.

edited to add:

Ah, now I see the story. I also suppose we'll see over the coming weeks a story of at least one butt-hurt american nazi who was recognized from all the photos* and gets fired.

*nazi pro-tip, wear a hood to avoid being identified

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To follow that to a logical conclusion, do you ever wonder why the Federal Government continues to allow the States to exist?
    No, because I don't cling to an identity as a New Jersayan, and I don't think many people have that kind of fealty to their states. Maybe there are Texans who would fight to remain Texans, and Iowans who would fight to remain Iowans, but generally we aren't defined by the state we live in. It's true that there are different cultures that define some broad regions. A Northeasterner is going to be culturally different from a Southerner, but I still think it's our country that defines who we are more than our state. In general, I'm very suspicious of nationalism. I know you fought for our country, Alan, as did my husband, and I am very grateful. But clinging to our labels or dogmas and then defending them with violence is a sad waste.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Men in my family traditionally did their military duty without complaint or seeking deferments. All the same, I feel more loyalty to my neck of the PNW woods than I do to the increasingly dysfunctional "United" States.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Men in my family traditionally did their military duty without complaint or seeking deferments. All the same, I feel more loyalty to my neck of the PNW woods than I do to the increasingly dysfunctional "United" States.
    +1

Thread Information