Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: School year goal

Two months since posting. The school year is more than half over.

getting sick was a big step back.

posting the goals again:

1) finish off the buckets
    2) finish off the molds
    3) use or recycle the cardboard (reserving the possibility of finding a neat location to keep a reasonable supply)
    4) have no little plastic cups of glaze, and a reasonable, neatly arranged number of bottles and colors
    5) I will do 4 shows/sales
    6) I will set aside at least one 4 hour block each week to produce new work. - changed to 8 hours a week in blocks of one hour or more.
    7) turn all the drywall scap into ware boards and distribute among home, school, and commercial studio by the end of october

In the last two months I took a few drywall boards to the commercial studio, and used some of the cardboard. Turns out I need some of the drywall to do a patch job in the basement, so it is good that it isn’t all gone.

i’ve added Enough students to be short on buckets again (great for my classes) but have spent little to no time in the studio, so wedging would be good at minimum!

No progress on glaze or molds at home, but one of my class fathers just built me a beautiful, inspirational shelf for glazes at school.

today I visited that show i was thinking about for next year. I am definitely going to apply. I talked to one of the potters at the show and exchanged some ideas, and she suggested I join the local (local being a Tristate area) semi-professional organization (which she belongs to and which has two shows a year.)

i also am am feeling inspired about creating some new work.

Good for you CL. Every step forward counts.

I cleared some more cardboard out of the studio barn yesterday.

Yahoo!

I have not given up.

more cardboard out today, worked on pieces for several hours (don’t know how long, a long time.) emptied a bucket.

Yay CL!

Yppej
    Yard waste pickups resume in April so I am in hiatus.

So, tomorrow is the last day of school.
    none of this happened.

it all seemed very simple and reasonable when I started out, but I have spent most of the year feeling like I was either running downhill - quick throw your foot out before you fall and tumble... or dragging weight uphill, often too tired to take one more step.

i have made some progress, so there is that. I am closer to where I want to be than I was at the beginning of the year, although I think the studio is much worse somehow. I am bringing a lot home with me from my classroom this year - it may be the best condition I have ever left the room in - to try to help me sort everything in one place over the summer. I have a vision of getting a bunch of identical boxes and filling them with examples and specific equipment if materials for various units and labeling them ie. “masks”, “pop dishes”, “geometric forms”... then stacking them in my upper cupboards in the storage closet.

i do expect to have my storage closet completely cleaned out by the end of the day today. Which will be a first for ten years of teaching. I’m going to ask the cleaning crew to actually clean all the cupboards this summer. (Which will be a first in 7 years in this building and who knows how long before that - I inherited the closet with materials in it left behind by people who taught in the school when it moved five years before we moved in)

CL, sounds as if you HAVE made good progress. Starting with an empty, clean storage closet is magic! One year when teaching our 4th grade team cleaned and scrubbed the communal closet....the vice principal took it over for book storage and had us share with another grade's closet. Of course, the cleaning and scrubbing had been done on our own time.

Nope, this is my closet! If administration tries to take it, I will leave my stuff all over the hallway, classroom, and student storage. I have lost other space, but admin is so happy to have a room that locks and that you can’t see into into which to banish my stuff! And the cleaning and scrubbing will be done by parent volunteers. (They are our heros!)

Thread Information