Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School year goal

School year goal

I've kind of been addressing these elsewhere, but after reading the old studio thread, and looking at the beginning of the school year, I am seeing the studio as a smaller, more achievable goal than the elephant, but still a big project.

i thought I would set some goals for the school year (which hasn't quite started for me, but I'll get a jump on it.) It runs through May.

so, I have 17 more molds on my floor to wash/find a home for/discard, and I have 37 buckets of scrap clay in the middle of my floor. They range in size from 1-5 gallons and are various amounts of full. 34 of them need to leave completely.
    i have a huge pile of cardboard.
    i have many random partially filled containers of glaze.

those are the biggest things.

so, by the end of the school year I will
    1) finish off the buckets
    2) finish off the molds
    3) use or recycle the cardboard (reserving the possibility of finding a neat location to keep a reasonable supply)
    4) have no little plastic cups of glaze, and a reasonable, neatly arranged number of bottles and colors
    also
    5) I will do 4 shows/sales
    6) I will set aside at least one 4 hour block each week to produce new work.

anybody else have a goal they want to work on for the school year?

Yppej
    One of my fall goals is decluttering the yard. I have six weeks of "free" (included in my taxes) pickup of yard waste in October and November.

I'm glad you are getting closer to realizing your goal.

So are you starting early to pile things up? Or are you getting non-organics out of the way so that leaf clean up and such will be easier?

i have a goal #7 - the drywall scrap. I would like to have that completely cut into ware boards and distributed among school, my studio, and the studio I take classes from by the end of October.

Yppej
    I am piling things up early.

Sounds great, I am trying to fit into my space which is so small. I just did a lot of work in my space today. Feels very good. I am working on a goal so it is good to read others

So, last week i
    -1- washed some empty buckets which are going back to school today
    -4- emptied a few of the little cups of glaze
    -5- tried a new sale
    -6- *spent some significant chunks of time in the studio glazing this week, which resulted in new pieces, but I actually mean 4 hours on wet clay. I don't really like long blocks of glazing and am going to try to avoid putting myself in that position for fall sales. Wet work needs uninterrupted time. Glazing can be done in starts and stops.

nothing on 2, 3, or 7.

yppej, how is your yard? I need to have a bonfire for mine.

zoe girl, are you unpacked enough yet? I start classroom set up with my roommate today.

I am up and running! First day of school today. I went shopping over the weekend and got a new rug, pillows with casds that match the rug, shelving for my office and more basketballs. Spent about 4 hours there yesterday with the paperwork and all. So many issues last week slowed m down.

Better get going

Yppej
    I tackled more of some tall forsythia bushes yesterday and have the scratches and on my dominant hand blisters to prove it. They are out of control and sending runners out all over the place now that we are no longer in drought. In a couple weeks my hand should be healed nicely and I will continue my efforts. In the meantime I will stick to light weeding.

This week, I:

2 - put away two clean molds and took one mold to s hool
    4 - emptied a couple more little cups of glaze and recycled a glaze bottle
    5 - researched a fall show but discovered the application deadline was in May!
    6 - worked my 4 hour uninterrupted block with wet clay. Kept 8 pieces to finish and dry, finished 4, wrapped 4

need to address goals 2 and 7 as i have had no progress for two weeks.

Yppej
    I delegated some brush clearing to my son. Next will come cutting down some summer flowers and ferns that are deadening, but that will wait 2 weeks until after company arrives and departs. In preparation for the visit I recaulked the tub today. I also did some general cleaning with the magic erasers recommended in the bathtub cleaning thread. I really like them.

Thread Information