Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School year goal

Doing an early call on this week because my son is getting married this weekend.

2- washed 5 molds
    3- put 5 layers on cardboard on the floor of my greenhouse. Hopefully this will stop the blackberries from forcing their way through the landscape fabric.

That's it. This week was all about the addition and the wedding, but at least I did something.

Yppej
    Yeah, that plantproof landscape fabric definitely isn't.

I have less than 24 hours until company arrives so have a final cleaning blitz. DS is having a meltdown because with his new bedroom furniture the TV cable will not reach, and horrible me, I threw out the longer cable that had been laying around the house for years unused. He says the if you don't use it in a year rule toss it is stupid, etc. And it was a long day in the office, with the boss who walks past his staff without so much as a good morning lobbing out an email nastygram to the group. I am looking forward to getting back to the catharsis of my fall yardwork project the following weekend.

I got in over 3000 steps today - was going to walk this evening but it's raining. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

This week was the first week of classes (teaching) and I made progress on exactly zero of my pottery goals.

i am going to have to do a better job with time management. Especially since I am starting a class (attending) October 17 that will be homework intensive. The teacher is fantastic and last time I took one of his classes, trying to keep up with everything he threw at us was like drinking from a fire hose. I could have taken the ideas and instruction from the first class and worked on them all 8 weeks, but he moved on every week!

yppej, how was your company?

Yppej
    Hi CL, company was OK, but it was good to get back to normal including more fall cleanup yesterday. I cut down ferns and some lilies and put away the garden hose which is a big mangly mess that I am too cheap to replace with the shrinkable type hose. I have so much brush piled up my neighbor has been cool, but he has a huge tree that could fall on my house in a storm, so I don't care. Yard waste pickups resume next month.

Is the tree dead? Out here, you could call the county and they would make him remove it. Although, out here the county mostly makes you remove trees that could fall on the road, because your neighbors house is unlikely to be close enough to your property line to get hit by your tree.

Yppej
    No, it's not dead, but it leans over and I saw live trees come down in the December 2008 ice storm.

To recap goals:

1) finish off the buckets
    2) finish off the molds
    3) use or recycle the cardboard (reserving the possibility of finding a neat location to keep a reasonable supply)
    4) have no little plastic cups of glaze, and a reasonable, neatly arranged number of bottles and colors
    also
    5) I will do 4 shows/sales
    6) I will set aside at least one 4 hour block each week to produce new work.
    7) turn all the drywall scap into ware boards and distribute among home, school, and commercial studio by the end of october

This week i
    2 - put some dry molds away on a shelf
    3 - used some more of the cardboard to mulch some plants.
    5 - scouted out a community event as a possible sale for next year - not my crowd
    7 - finished 3 small and 4 large ware boards

I also fired my home kiln.

I am thinking that the four hour block is going to be an issue. I have very few places in my week now where i am home for 4 straight hours and don't have other commitments intruding (like farm chores, dinner, and baking). It would have to be on the weekend or every monday afternoon. I may try to do that on mondays that do not have appointments or other activities, but i think for now i am going to change it to 8 hours a week in blocks of one hour or more.

Why not keep it at 4 hours in 1-2 hours blocks to see how it goes before you set yourself up for 8 hours? You are making good progress on massive goals.

Because if i make it 4 hours i will let it get put off, and if i make it 8 i will try to slip an hour in when i see a chance. So i will probably do better failing at 8 than succeeding at 4. Once i see where the times are that work or don't, i can adjust again.

Also, if i can't put in 8 hours a week i should stop lying to myself about taking this seriously.

Thread Information