Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to decide where to live

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, would you ever consider Galena, Illinois, or is it too far from your peeps?

I fell in love with this miner's cottage last week, at 312 Gear st, Galena:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/11_zm/
    that cottage is super cute! Too small for dailynliving though, and no land with it.

I have entertained Galena in my mind and even go there online occasionally to look at real estate. There, Hermann, Eureka Springs, all attractive little touristy river towns on hills. I would like a tourist town, I would volunteer during the festivals and etc, although I suspect we would tire of drunkenness in Hermann.

we always said we would retire in Tennessee, so I havent even looked there yet (online, of course.)

That's the downside of preferring suburbs--a lack of anything resembling architecture. Personally, I prefer contemporary houses (think of a random bunch of boxcars and garden sheds stuck together) or vacation cottages (think beachy; sandy floors). My house is kind of an amalgam of the two, but that's impossible to find where I'm headed (and hard to find here). And I do like a view.

I would buy a small house in town so when you can't drive you don't have to move again. WE moved into town 5 years ago and love it. It is nice to be able to walk places. I have done rural living with land when I lived in upstate NY but I was young. All that driving especially in snow gets old.

When I was younger, I wanted the place in the country and still think about it. But the reality is that I detest driving in today's driving culture plus I like the choices that living in the city provides. I don't want to be too far removed when I get older and then have to make a huge move again. Also, practical things like municipal water and wastewater, trash service, etc. Don't want to think about things like wells and septic systems. I am sticking with my formula - inner ring suburbs (no newer than early 60s) in an economically healthy city/town with colleges and/or universities. I can grow veggies in my yard, keep chickens etc yet there are beautiful, wild places close by if I need to escape. My brother lives on four acres in a remote, mountainous area and I wonder about him as he gets older. If one of your choices is living outside a town with a 20 minute drive, that would be my pick for the long haul.

The older I get, the more I realize that I seem to have what a lot of people want in a retirement home. The two houses posted here are absolutely gorgeous! Prices in California are so much higher than in other states. Very interesting thread. Especially the part about people moving back after not being happy in their new houses. Our personalities and needs change as we get older, too. I might just do what my parents did, and put money into my current home and garden.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    When I was younger, I wanted the place in the country and still think about it. But the reality is that I detest driving in today's driving culture
    A few people in this thread have mentioned not being huge fans of driving. Autonomous cars will change that. I'm not sure it will happen in our lifetimes, but they promise to alter the "I don't like to drive" equation. What they are unlikely to alter, however, is the time it takes to get from Point A to Point B and the relative expense of traveling longer distances. So there still will be that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I like small towns better than suburbs and better than cities. They tend to be more affordable, and I am phobic about city driving, and you can get a bigger yard.
    If it wer ejust I, and not I and my DH, who has a whole shop full of tools and is happiest with a farm, I would live in a small town with excellent public transportation, within an hour of one of my kids. I can't afford where they all live as they live in cities and it is too expensive.

My ideal small town has a pool, a good public park, a great library, a choice of churches, a good coffeehouse, and friendly, pleasant people.

My happiest houses have been in small towns, where I could ride my bike to the grocery and library. But again, with the husband I have, we are pretty committed to being out in the country.

My last several houses have been selected for ease of living with the dogs, so fenced in yard is a must.

A bus ride from my kids, and I would be in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    A few people in this thread have mentioned not being huge fans of driving. Autonomous cars will change that. I'm not sure it will happen in our lifetimes, but they promise to alter the "I don't like to drive" equation. What they are unlikely to alter, however, is the time it takes to get from Point A to Point B and the relative expense of traveling longer distances. So there still will be that.

I miss the logic of a car driving for you, causing you to be a fan of driving a car?

Because you don't have the stress of actually driving but are merely a passenger.

I was clearly born too soon; I swoon over the idea of an auto-auto!

Thread Information