Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 165

Thread: How to decide where to live

  1. #101
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,024
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    But there's quite a difference between 750 sq ft and 2000. Maybe split the difference and shoot for 1375? That's about the ideal size for me, so maybe I'm projecting...
    Well, my husband's pick is closer in size to your ideal size: this one is 1191 sq. ft, and it's a really cute house, right across the street from the water, but I'm afraid it's too far north for me.

    https://farmandforest.com/listing/46...rgia-vt-05478/

    I would hope to be able to fit into something less than 1,000 if I can find something affordable in a vibrant community.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  2. #102
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,224
    The outside is lovely, but apparently Vermonters love being "notty!" Which might drive me batty.
    Otherwise, the size and location work for me.
    I've lived in less than 1000 sq ft before, so I suppose I could do it again if I had to.

  3. #103
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,024
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The outside is lovely, but apparently Vermonters love being "notty!" Which might drive me batty.
    Otherwise, the size and location work for me.
    I've lived in less than 1000 sq ft before, so I suppose I could do it again if I had to.
    Yeah, shiplap is the new knotty pine according to Joanna and Chip on HGTV. I don't mind it much.

    Realtor just emailed us that she set up 4 appointments, so I'm really excited.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #104
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,303
    Wow that's a lot of knotty pine... Personally I'd have to paint most of it white because I think winter inside that house would seem kind of dark. Or maybe just get a lot of LED lighting to make it bright and cheery without going broker paying for electricity. Otherwise it looks like a pretty cool place.

  5. #105
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,248
    Wishing you fun and joy in your explorations this weekend! It is all part of the adventure of being alive when you go searching for the next step to take in making your home base. It is not the house that makes a home but the thought of the people living in it whatever size or location is chosen.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,498
    Catherine--how is the house hunt going? Report back when you get a chance!

  7. #107
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine--how is the house hunt going? Report back when you get a chance!
    We're still up here--we'll be flying back this afternoon, but I'm satisfied with the touring around we did.

    On Saturday, we met the realtor who took us to the run-down camp for $149 which is right in Mallett's Bay. It was REALLY run down, but in addition, there were other problems. It has long rows of very steep steps, which DH didn't like at all, especially for the grandkids. There is no septic. It's a plastic 1000 gallon tank that has to be removed once a year. It would require a ton of money to seal cracks and replace windows. There was barely enough parking for one car. Although I was willing to consider a fixer upper, this one is not the right one.

    We also saw two on South Hero. One of those two was even worse than the first one we saw in Malletts Bay, and at $269k we said no thanks. We drove in and drove out. The third one had a beautiful view of the lake and a nice gentle slope to the water so that grandkids could easily tip-toe in without having to navigate stairs down a cliff. Again, DH was not taken by the house itself--looked like it hadn't been touched since the 60s--which doesn't bother me, but the neighborhood just didn't feel right.

    We also headed up through Milton and Georgia and saw a nice little house in a cute lake community for $134k. It was very remote though. We drove for miles and miles without seeing ANY business at all. We also drove south to Charlotte and Ferrisburg, but we keep going back to Malletts Bay as the best bet.

    But we did see one house that was really amazing. It was seasonal, but it was really perfect. On a very private promontory on an island peninsula right off Mallett's Bay. The house was just adorable, and it had an outside deck and easy access to the lake. It was nestled in the trees, and no lawn to mow. You could feel like Robinson Crusoe, but you drive off the small island and you are right in the heart of Malletts Bay with amenities right there, and my son only 12 minutes away. We brought the kids with us and they just went wild for this one.

    Problem is: the island has been owned by the same family for 140 years. They lease the land. This whole lease thing seems weird to begin with, but the lease land in this situation would feel like being a sharecropper for the lord of the manor.

    Also, as you might expect with such a perfect house, it was above my budget, but if I sold my NJ residence it would still put money in my pocket. And the house will definitely appreciate.

    My instinct is to wait out the winter, get BIL's house sold (closing will be mid-late September), decide if we want to cut bait in NJ, and then buy something in February or March.

    Thanks for asking!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,498
    What a productive trip! I really like the way you are thinking it all through. That leased land thing is a real conundrum-- there is one in Maine on leased land and due to your comments about leased land, I was taking it off the possible list.
    You sure don't want to spend a lot of money to feel like "a sharecropper for the lord of the manor", lol,

  9. #109
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,024
    Part II of the Vermont house hunting.

    Another productive weekend. We drove up the eastern side of Lake Champlain and explored all the towns and all the neighborhoods/houses I had put on my list to drive by. We were able to yay/nay each one.

    So yesterday we went up to the Champlain Islands, and I found a house that I really like!! My son in particular has been hounding me ever since we saw it.

    Pros:
    direct waterfront
    cute house
    Year round
    Concrete dock
    Guy wants to sell his boat for only $1500
    No dangerous drop-off to beach, but set back
    Lots of great southern exposure for growing
    Intersting land concept: you own 1/4 acre, but share 2 acres with 10 families, reducing taxes
    Great family spot
    Cheap

    Cons
    A little farther than I want to be
    I'd have to sacrifice the Burlington vibe for a remote island vibe and I'm not 100% sure what that will be like.
    Don't know if I'll like those other 9 families
    Not really a great place to get sick in (to jp1's point--not "age-in-place-able"). I'm healthy, but DH has some issues.

    My son is ALL ABOUT IT, but I told him, it's really a case of me asking the question "Who am I??" City girl or country girl? Where am I going to be happy? How do I figure that out before I spend a lot of money?

    Insights?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Part II of the Vermont house hunting.

    Another productive weekend. We drove up the eastern side of Lake Champlain and explored all the towns and all the neighborhoods/houses I had put on my list to drive by. We were able to yay/nay each one.

    So yesterday we went up to the Champlain Islands, and I found a house that I really like!! My son in particular has been hounding me ever since we saw it.

    Pros:
    direct waterfront
    cute house
    Year round
    Concrete dock
    Guy wants to sell his boat for only $1500
    No dangerous drop-off to beach, but set back
    Lots of great southern exposure for growing
    Intersting land concept: you own 1/4 acre, but share 2 acres with 10 families, reducing taxes
    Great family spot
    Cheap

    Cons
    A little farther than I want to be
    I'd have to sacrifice the Burlington vibe for a remote island vibe and I'm not 100% sure what that will be like.
    Don't know if I'll like those other 9 families
    Not really a great place to get sick in (to jp1's point--not "age-in-place-able"). I'm healthy, but DH has some issues.

    My son is ALL ABOUT IT, but I told him, it's really a case of me asking the question "Who am I??" City girl or country girl? Where am I going to be happy? How do I figure that out before I spend a lot of money?

    Insights?
    I think direct waterfront is wonderful for resale, and for your own use, of course. I think it is hard to go really wrong with direct waterfront. Year round is essential, I think. And a boat? So cool!
    Would it be something you could resell or rent out if you got up there and your needs changed, and your found that it was too remote?

    I thought where we moved would be too remote but now that I'm here, I feel like it is the center of the world and it no longer seems remote at all. So that can happen, your perspective can change as you grow accustomed to a new home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •