Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How to decide where to live

Well, after writing that there is no acreage in the town of Hermann that suits us, a property came on the market. We are seeing it today. Will let you know how it is, with photos!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, after writing that there is no acreage in the town of Hermann that suits us, a property came on the market. We are seeing it today. Will let you know how it is, with photos!
    Oh, wow! Yes, keep us posted, IL!

We are going to VT next weekend and looking at a couple of places. There are a few places around the lake for $150k. If they are in nice communities, where I wouldn't feel isolated, and I could still grow stuff, and have a nice view, I'll be happy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Here is a photo of the view from the back patio which faces East. That is the perfect orientation. It is one acre and it is just down the street from one of the oldest wineries in the country.

IMG_1338.jpg

Hmm, maybe this image is less blurry--edited to say well, now this one is upside down.

IMG_1331.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iris lily; 8-20-17 at 9:42pm.

Upside-down or right-side up, it looks beautiful! How was the house?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...pshafexdns.jpg

Still trying before I move on to house description.

So, here is the Realtor.com listing.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M74380-71491

The house is funky. It is funny, and has some parts I could get fond of. Has some parts that are pretty awful. It has been cobbled together over decades.

You people think I don't listen to you, haha, but I thought of razz's post on this thread the thread about moving. She talked about feeling unsettled without a home base. I might feel too unsettled if we had two domiciles.
    Two houses could mean I dont live here nor there. I dont know.

This property is pretty damn big for a second home. dH rather likes it, and says that if we ever buy property in Hermann, this one is it. The location and setting (for
    Hermann, not saying any place, just Hermann) is ideal. I need to shut up about Hermann if we dont buy this one, he says.

The land slopes, but not as badly as we feared. dH says we would terrace it. Grapes are grown all around us, on the hills.

Keep in mind that this is in the village of Herman, it is not out in the country.

I keep asking myself, why do I feel compelled to have huge lots of iris and lilies? What about deer, there are deer roaming these hills? That would affect my ability to grow lilies, deer eat lilies. But not iris! And not daffodils!!!

But my gut yesterday and today says: this s too much, another property to maintan is too much, and it isnt the best looking place on the block, so we would have some obligation to fix up the front. At least it is in a very very safe neighborhood and I know it would not be burglerized if we were gone from it a lot. too many eyes and ears watching it.
    Last edited by iris lily; 8-20-17 at 11:58pm.

Can you buy it now, and decide later?

I love the view from the back yard. I see trees, though. I hope you wouldn't be cutting those.

One house is enough for me, I can't fathom having more. Unless the second were a condo in Maui or BC or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Can you buy it now, and decide later?

I love the view from the back yard. I see trees, though. I hope you wouldn't be cutting those.

One house is enough for me, I can't fathom having more. Unless the second were a condo in Maui or BC or something.
    Its cheap enough that we could write a check. See, that is the problem with us and real estate, we are attracted to crappy little old houses that dont costs much to buy, but that ultimately cost a lot because they need tons of work.

No, we wouldnt cut those trees you see. There are some small scrubby trees close to the house that need to be taken down, but the land we want to plant is pretty much open. We would keep a couple of big trees by the house because they dont hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Its cheap enough that we could write a check. See, that is the problem with us and real estate, we are attracted to crappy little old houses that dont costs much to buy, but that ultimately cost a lot because they need tons of work.

No, we wouldnt cut those trees you see. There are some small scrubby trees close to the house that need to be taken down, but the land we want to plant is pretty much open. We would keep a couple of big trees by the house because they dont hurt anything.
    Sleep on it, then go with your instincts, say I.

I too love the funky old house look. I think that house is very workable. Love that huge porch and the kitchen is about the same size as the one I had earlier in life. It is just messy because it is full of stuff from many decades and there is too much stuff out (probably due to lack of storage).

More important are the bones of the house and the location. But I agree about having two houses. I would not do well with two. Twice as much worry and work since they are not static.

Thread Information