Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Becoming a boring person...

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    it can provide some novelty to have an interesting environment and novelty is a basic human need. I recommend the book: "the joyless economy" (ha I would). People get lost when they look for more novelty than it can provide (mass produced things only provide so much compared to custom things, and then regardless we *eventually* get bored of seeing them all the time anyway - I guess this could be an argument for rotating things - bought used and donated when done with them of course!). Or when they look for more than novelty in it (it's low level novelty not meaning we're talking about here afterall).

Anyway no one has to have nice things to have novelty as there are other sources (even interesting food to give one everyday example - with the usual caveat of moderation).
    I don't think I find joy is items. I like and/or have liked certain things -- my fish pole, my bicycle, what-have-you. But joy in them? They are props -- merely props -- for something else that brings me joy.

You only need to be interesting enough to make yourself happy. I would rather have a somewhat boring life and be at peace, than have much excitement and the unwanted drama that comes with it. Keep looking for the right bike seat. Sometimes it's more about your sit bones hitting the seat in the right place, than a really cushy seat. Maybe you could still do some bike touring. Also, have you ever thought about mountain biking. It's lot's of fun. Well whatever you do, don't be to hard on yourself and find something to have a little fun with.

I appreciate the insights and ideas from you all.

http://elitedaily.com/life/motivatio...boring-people/

Came across this... not sure I buy it all???

The thing I would do (and do do ..hehe)... is try to go out of my comfort zone. Someone else here mentioned that. I happen upon the most interesting adventures. I also talk to everyone. I learn so many interesting things. If you enjoy traveling, find a way to do more of it. If you look... you will find all kinds of opportunities.

Whenever I feel "down", I pull myself out of my comfort zone. It helps!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    http://elitedaily.com/life/motivatio...boring-people/

Came across this... not sure I buy it all???

The thing I would do (and do do ..hehe)... is try to go out of my comfort zone. Someone else here mentioned that. I happen upon the most interesting adventures. I also talk to everyone. I learn so many interesting things. If you enjoy traveling, find a way to do more of it. If you look... you will find all kinds of opportunities.

Whenever I feel "down", I pull myself out of my comfort zone. It helps!
    Interesting article.

Also: I agree about expanding one's comfort zone.

Interesting article. I think I've learned most of that already, so I guess I am interesting.

I don't know about "Interesting people have a hunger for life; boring people are content with frozen dinner." To continue the food metaphor, if I go to a restaurant, I will try the thing I've never had before. Or the item that's new there. I've never been one of those people who looks at something outside of the comfort zone and is sure I won't like it before even trying it. I've eaten some new favorites and some real duds. But I tried.

What I kind-of object to, though, is that sometimes a frozen dinner is just what the occasion demands. For "eat to live" people, a frozen dinner they like can be just fine and allows them the emotional and intellectual energy they need for something they find more interesting. I don't want to get stuck on the food metaphor, only to contest that sometimes retreating a bit in an area or two of life will not kill one's interest mojo.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Another citizen of Blandsville here! I love my boring life. I love getting the same meal at each restaurant I visit regularly (I get to go to a lot of work lunches). I love my routine. I love my slightly cluttered but less-than-it-used-to-be home. But enough about me. I love everyone's comments. So many interesting people here!!

You're actually in an exciting time, UL. You are "between the two trapezes," to quote Coldplay (which some believe to be boring, as well, though I love them-no surprise!). It reminds me of that year after college when I didn't know what path I would choose professionally, when I was searching for something to give me the drive to pursue it (how can something drive me to pursue it--does that make it behind me and ahead all at once?). At the time, I felt anxious and lost. But I met a woman a bit older than me who told me how exciting it was to be at the beginning of something new and not even know what it is yet! She convinced me. Take that ennui or whatever you're feeling and channel it -- into what? Into what?! Exactly. Since you don't know what, how about bucket-listing it and trying something new every weekend or every month (budget and time depending). How about learning a language? Or improving one you know? Use your journal to mind map. Imagine three different five year paths--and plot them out on paper. Evaluate the times you are happiest and journal those times. Maybe learn to cook a new ethnic cuisine. Try gardening. You like numbers--give yourself a goal in miles for biking in a month or a year. Plan another trip--whether to Israel or somewhere closer and cheaper, whatever. Pick something. If it's the wrong thing, you'll pick something else.

I've been in Miami for over a dozen years, and I just recently found a new-to-me beach, and I LOVE that. Free, local, 20 minutes away, and it's something I've been missing for over a dozen years. Maybe there's something like that near you. Seek and ye shall find.

As a massage therapist for more than 10 years, I met many many people, most of them much different than me. And I don't think one of them I'd think of as boring. Each one had something interesting about them, whether their job, hobby, even how they earned that scar on their body or what they did to themselves to need a massage. I learned a little something from each one.

And it's the only thing I miss about doing massage!

Yppej
    One cure for boredom is to avoid self-absorption. Do you do volunteer work? If so, maybe switch up what you donate your time to? Maybe it will eventually lead to a related new career path. In any case you will meet new people and seeing those with less than you should help spark compassion and gratitude. They, along with attention, are the keys to happiness.

Thread Information