Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with copper pennies

What to do with copper pennies

Since the pennies are no longer in circulation and I have about 500 of them that have accumulated in a variety of places, what does one do with unwanted pennies? I collected them together last week and was really surprised to find that many. Is there a commercial use for them anywhere? Not solid copper so any use for recycling? Are they simply metal garbage? TIA
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    I believe from what I read that your copper penny is worth as least twice as much in melt value but is it not illegal to melt Canadian copper pennies? I would think the government would encourage you to turn them into a bank so that the government could realize the profit....not you.

I just read the putting pennies around pots will keep snails and slugs out...

The 95% copper/5% zinc alloy is handy for some craft-type uses. It's the same alloy as "gilding metal".

I've swaged bullet jackets out of pennies, and I've known some people to use it for jewelry.

You could also modify the composition of the alloy when you melt it if you were so inclined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNOzPMpxQQ

Perhaps you have a very small room that needs reflooring?

That's what I am saving my pennies for, to do a kitchen floor. I love these.

I'd frame a few for a wall memory penny.JPG or consider a mirror project mirror.JPG or something for the garden maybe a birdhouse roof or a ball pennyball.JPG but I'd never go as far as a car pennycar.JPG or a dress. It's amazing what people have stuck pennies to!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I had been told that they had no value so never thought to question that till now. I finally googled Canadian Mint that produced C$ of all kinds and found out that banks have to take them provided they are rolled up. Pennies are still viable currency. Businesses may decline as most, if not all, have. These coins are really tarnished so would need some work to repurpose as Float On suggested. Not sure that I want to do that much work. They are mostly copper which I found interesting. Does the US still use its pennies?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Does the US still use its pennies?
    Sadly, yes. And we haven't gotten rid of our dollar bills yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Does the US still use its pennies?
    Yes. They pile up and are heavy! We just did a fundraiser for a local agency that collects coin for meeting their yearly budget. Our church filled 27 little jars and guess who got to carry them all to her car and transport them to that agency and then carry them through their walkway lobby and into their office (3 doors)! Yep, me. Sometimes I think life would be simpler if we did away with coin all together.

Cleaning recipe: clean.JPG
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information