Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New work roommate aaaah!

New work roommate aaaah!

Ok, this is where I overreact to get it out of my system.

i am teaching two almost completely unrelated equipment and materials intensive subjects in my classroom two full days (8 individual classes) and two half days a week. (Although my halfs (2 classes) - may get cut to a single class of an hour and a half on each of those two days)

i just found out out that I am getting a roommate. The new physics teacher. Who will be teaching a single hour and a half class that meets two mornings a week. I have been told that she will need the shelf (which holds general supplies everybody uses) and both cupboards at the front of my classroom - half my cupboards. And also some wall space. There is no wall space. It's behind cupboards. Or above the lockers and covered in decorative tiles the kids made. She cannot block my kids' lockers.

i realize that physics is materials intensive. But already, when I was just teaching pottery, I was schlepping stuff back and forth from home every day (up the stairs to the third floor, at least two trips) because there wasn't room to store things I only needed for one unit.

each kid needs two cubic feet of storage space to hold their clay and tools. (The tools are a very small part of that, so even if they carried them home and forgot them over and over, it wouldn't help much) plus space for projects that are under construction. My classes are very full next year, so I have more kids just in my 4 one day pottery classes than I had in 6 last year. Plus that tues/Thursday 1.5 hour class is a high school studio class that is going to result in larger numbers of larger pieces of student work.

deep breath. I know we will work this out. But seriously? Why do I always get physics? (Actually, I know, it's because the physics teachers keep quitting and new teachers have to take what they can get and no one wants to share a room with me)

and i don't always get physics. One year I had math. That was so nice! He needed the general supply shelf, the desk drawers, and a little piece of counter.

oh crap! What if she wants a desk? I tossed the desk last year to make room for another work table when I didn't have a roommate. Where are we going to put a desk?!

Since your classes are well attended, can you pour on the 'squeal factor' a little. It comes down to $$$ being well spent by administration. Maybe I am not completely understanding so let me know if I have the wrong concept of your classes vs other classes.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh yuck, room sharing is not fun! I'd probably throw a huge fit about how much stuff the kids have. I'd physically not be able to make the trip up and down stairs twice to carry supplies (my old cave knees hurt just thinking about it).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm going to try to lure her into somebody else's room with air conditioning (unfortunately the only candidates are my heart daughter and one of our best work friends) my room does not have air conditioning, also, it is dirty. Because - clay.

the work friend will be taking maternity leave. I choose her.

Also, there are 16 class periods. I am teaching 12. She is teaching 2. I offered her 1/4 of the cabinet space. I think that is generous.

So I went in and talked to the facilities manager (the facilities manager loves me. Our kids grew up together)

apparently everyone one else knew I had a roommate three weeks ago, but the personnel director's emails have not been getting through to me. My roommate has had air conditioning installed in "our" room (robbing "us" of three square feet of usable and previously used counter space and a window) her stuff is piled all over the tables (and she is probably frustrated that I have not made any space for her)

the facilities manager is going to see about having some additional storage cabinets placed in the hall outside our room for us to use. Meanwhile I emailed my roommate, told her about the email snafu, and suggested we meet to get organized on Monday. (The building is open only three hours in the evening tomorrow, closed Thursday, and Friday is both my anniversary and the day before I have a booth sale.) I had my daughter read the email and she said I sounded like a friendly, disorganized nutcase, but not cold or mean. So, truth in advertizing - I sent it.

A supportive FM is good, and I feel your pain. I had to move out of my storage space and my beautiful office. My new office has a storm drain running through it and I can hear everything from the music room. So I am not sure how to even have a phone call this school year. I hope no one fusses that I work from home during the day. I hope you roomie can work it out with you, we tend to be a people pleaser business

Storage! I get it. I have 2 dozen hula hoops in my car after all.

Lol! I do not have 2 dozen hula hoops in my car. But the day of the open house, I will probably have a goat in my classroom. And a little cage of chicks. Should I warn her about the goat?

Yes, goats in sharec space is something to talk about. I read that in miss manners!

Are you going to do goat yoga? I hear it is very beneficial.

I will keep my opinions on goat yoga to myself.

Dh says I should surprise her. The goat is non negotiable. It's one of my job qualifications.

Thread Information