Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you counter-protest?

What would happen if only the Nazis showed up? I'm thinking that it might be more of a statement for nobody to go to their gatherings......but protest in other ways (whatever they are).
    Most of these guys are just itching for a fight, right? What if nobody accommodated them?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    What would happen if only the Nazis showed up? I'm thinking that it might be more of a statement for nobody to go to their gatherings......but protest in other ways (whatever they are).
    Most of these guys are just itching for a fight, right? What if nobody accommodated them?
    I suspect part of their plan is to get lots of free publicity by marching/demonstrating.

Until recently, if you believe the SPLC, the number of Nazis and KKK members in this country was quite small.

Getting a huge reaction plays right into their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    If nobody engaged them, most would probably go back to playing HALO 5 full-time.

How many of the protestors initiating the action as white supremacists etc., actually supply $$$$$ to the GOP? How many financial supporters are being alienated with their behaviour? Not intended as a snarky question because in politics it is, at the end of the day, money that talks regardless of which party or in which country. When CEOs are expressing concern, I would think that their Boards of Directors were advised and given opportunity to oppose - lots of $$$ there.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    How many of the protestors initiating the action as white supremacists etc., actually supply $$$$$ to the GOP?
    What does the GOP have to do with it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What does the GOP have to do with it?
    Are the supremacists etc., not recognized as voting Republican in the election? Are not CEOs and Chiefs of Staff members rebuking what the outliers are standing for? This is not a Dem vs Rep question but rather when does an outlier group state that they are of a party, active in and then conduct behaviour that alienates the party's general membership and financial support? When does the $$$fat hit the fan?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    No I would not go to an event against something. Someone cried racism in my area a few years ago and there was a rally. Later it turned out she spray painted the slurs on her own house to get sympathy.

However, I might go to a positive event such as The Women's March.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I would counter-protest under certain conditions. I hate violence. I would participate in a peaceful demonstration separated by distance from the group (and viewpoints) I'm protesting against.

Especially if the other group were armed to the teeth, and "locked and loaded" and filled with hate. Primed to riot. (If they love this country so much, what are they doing to improve it?)

What's the point of yelling opposing words at a group of protestors whose ears are not going to hear?

This much anger and hatred worries me. I thought it couldn't happen here. How wrong I was. Very, very sad and alarming.
    peaceful, easy feeling

The Nazis in VA were repeatedly saying how much they love Trump. Remember how he was the GOP candidate for president and got elected? Remember how he is still the Republican president of the USA?

Uh... I would say the GOP is right in the thick of this mess, Alan.

No. I would not give them the time of day. They are protesting because they have an agenda and no amount of counter protesting will change the agenda. I would not flame their fire and by counter protesting it is giving them undeserved credence. The media coverage is giving them exactly what they want which is attention. Let their fire go out.

Thread Information