Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you counter-protest?

I'm not sure neo-nazies (and no I'm not going to beat around the bush and call them alt-right but call them what they so clearly are instead) make enough of the population to warrant a counter-protest. Maybe it just draws more attention to them. Of course if I'm wrong (I would not have predicted a Trump victory either, so maybe I'm not so good at such mind reading) and hate marchers and their sympathizers actually ARE a significant portion of the population, then heaven help us all, and we are in trouble regardless of counter-protests.

I'm sympathetic with those who counter-protest, I know they are fine people doing it for the right reasons, I'm just not sure it actually doesn't give some small minority of openly hateful people more attention than otherwise.
    Trees don't grow on money

Sunday, a group came through putting flyers on everyone's cars, also known as screwing with peoples property and littering. Their signs didn't have any of their contact information for billing (disposal fee's), or questioning their motives or beliefs/views/more information. The flyer said that someone named x was coming to town, under the guise of freedom of religion and had rented a room at x facility, which was crossed out and another facilities name mentioned. The mentioned place is three tenths of a mile from where I work and is a hall that would say if your a wedding, we have these additional services/items you can rent, otherwise here is our room/table/chair rental fees. If your money is green, it is the same money. The flyer had LGBT triggers in it, and they would be protesting that place, if that place discriminated against any of those activities, but the same rules shouldn't apply to a group that they don't agree with, and don't have to attend.
    I have no need/reason to attend, but figure it could get nuts around work and leaving, due to this being so close. (traffic and such)
    The flyer requests that we contact the venue, and the city council over permits and effectively destroy this business financially.

Now, if this were my Austrian neighbor's father, or my friends German concentration camp grandfather, then I might attend a private function, to discuss the war from their perspective. No different then the Japanese friend, or my neighbor about growing up during and after the war, or a late friend about living through the bombing of GB. History is written by the victors, but often we find out more later on, as things are classified or "not something that others would understand" and later comes out through the perspective of historians.

No I would not. Why give them what they want?

I would not attend. And if I were King of the World I'd ensure a neutral zone be established between the protesters and counter protesters to prevent the type of violent, emotional outbreaks which only serve to feed future protests.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

No

Williamsmith
    There is only one thing that's a bigger waste of time than neo Nazis and white supremacists protesting. That's counter protesting. They should all be arrested for causing the state to expend unnecessary financial assets and undermining the health, prosperity and common good of society. Hand them picks and shovels for true, "shovel ready" jobs. Work them until they don't feel like protesting anymore. Take down all offensive symbols except those specifically honoring the current federal government. All religious symbols like crosses and images of Jesus need to go because a large segment of our people find them offensive. All National Parks should be cleared of any monuments to past occurrences.

My impulse would be to go just to represent what I hope is the vast majority of the population that strongly disagrees with their poisonous cause. But ignoring them might be a better--and safer--way to show that. Everyone stay at home or otherwise well away from them. Or Alan's plan of a buffer zone might protect the protesters from thugs obviously looking for a fight. "Both sides" --what a crock! Just like there were two equally culpable sides any other time Nazis raised their ugly heads.

I hope however this plays out that good people stand up and fight in whichever way they can so that we don't end up like Germany mid-century. It seems too many looked the other way at the beginning. These things start small.

I am probably just naïve and uninformed about rights of assembly. But I thought we had a right to peaceful assembly. So when the Nazis and KKK show up with guns and pitchforks, or whatever those long sticks were, then to me it is no longer a peaceful assembly. Looking at the photos from Charlottesville, why did the police not shut them down right at the start?

If somebody is throwing something at somebody else, the thrower should get arrested. That is not okay behavior.

I don't understand why mob in C'ville became mob rule.

So I guess I would not counter-protest, if it involved showing up with weapons, including defensive weapons.

I am not trying to do anything here but understand, and was hoping some of you who are LEOs or first responders could explain why people are allowed to come into a public space in a threatening fashion.

If I showed up brandishing sticks on the subway, wouldn't I get arrested?

Why is the public space of a park different?

In C'ville, lots and lots of people intent on mischief descend on the town, and some guy from Ohio kills a woman with his car and injures others. Two state police officers are killed trying to do their job to keep the public safe.

This could happen absolutely anywhere, North, South, East, or West. Harvard was built partially on slaver money--many families in New England got their wealth from the slave trade. So is it okay to go into Boston and act this way, to protest events that occurred in the past?

I am baffled as to why this "rally" was allowed to continue.

Counter-protesting to what? Let's select the options that trigger counter-protests.

If local marijuana growers protest to grow more, I am not interested in counter-protesting.

If a marijuana grower does not have proper ventilation equipment operating and is harming the quality of life for the neighbours (the smell from a large greenhouse without proper filtration ventilation is horrific! think of 100 skunks stinking at the same time on a hot day) triggering a public request for growing standards and protestors showed up to protest their freedom/right etc., to use MJ, would I support the community of friends in the neighbourhood, yes.

This scenario is not just a figment of my imagination. MJ legislation at the federal level permitted growing but legislation on controls and standards are way behind with provincial and municipal gov'ts trying to play catch up. Communities are struggling and illegal activities are ongoing until someone complains and tries to rectify the situation. Complex!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Laws may vary, but I believe it's legal to carry--even brandish--weapons as long as you aren't openly threatening anyone.
    I learned this listening to a scanner app...

Thread Information