Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are there still Nazis, white supremacists etc?

Why are there still Nazis, white supremacists etc?

Why are there still Nazis, white supremacists etc.?

The choice to be one could be affected by one's social dominance orientation. Take the quiz in the link below and see if your orientation aligns with your posts on this site. Share the results if you feel so inclined or not. I tried it and found I had 'low' social dominance orientation.

I feel strongly that people are equal in value but make poor choices. If someone has to tell me how much better they are than the rest of the world, I think that they are suffering from serious self-deception.

Personality trait of social dominance orientation https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...=Science_final
    The continued existence of people who hold openly white supremacist ideologies more than seven decades after the fall of the Third Reich can be explained, in part, through a social theory developed in the early 1990s. Social dominance theory seeks to explain how hierarchy-enhancing ideologies do not just drive social inequality, but are also a result of it. It suggests that a single personality trait, called social dominance orientation (SDO), strongly predicts a person’s political and social views, from foreign policy and criminal justice to civil rights and the environment. What's more, it offers insight into how ideologies such as racism, sexism, and xenophobia tend to arise from the unequal distribution of a society's resources.

“Social dominance theory provides a yardstick for measuring social and political ideologies,” says Felicia Pratto, who developed the theory with fellow psychologist Jim Sidanius.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I was "low."

Low for me too.

I got low, too, but honestly, as I market researcher, I have to ask, would anyone ADMIT to saying that some groups are better than others, or that equality isn't important in society?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I came up very low.

The very language of the survey has embedded in it such implicit assumptions that it's hard to answer seriously.

For instance, Question #6: "It is unjust to try to make groups equal."

What is "just"? What is "equal"? What does "try to make" entail?

Bae, while I agree with your analysis of concern of the words chosen, do you think that those pro or against nazism,etc., do that depth of analysis or do they simply answer the question in terms of their understanding of just, equal etc and act accordingly?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Bae, while I agree with your analysis of concern of the words chosen, do you think that those pro or against nazism,etc., do that depth of analysis or do they simply answer the question in terms of their understanding of just, equal etc and act accordingly?
    But different people will have quite different understandings of the terms, and so their answers may not be as easily placed on a "social dominance" scale as the survey makers hope...

To your question, I suspect most people have not read Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" and similar works.

Yppej
    I think if your view is that the great story of our country is its path towards more inclusiveness you will score low. But if to you the greatness of America is something else, like being able to own a bunch of guns, you might not. For the first time today I heard Tom Petty's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door with the reference to automatic weapons and I thought, only in America.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    But different people will have quite different understandings of the terms, and so their answers may not be as easily placed on a "social dominance" scale as the survey makers hope...ome

To your question, I suspect most people have not read Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" and similar works.
    I confess that I have not read that either. The problem with any discussion is finding an agreement on the meaning of terms. Most negotiation starts with that, i suspect, and proceeds from that point. Culturally people will believe their view is the correct one until someone convinces them to attend the negotiation table in reality or in thought. Rigid minds of whatever persuasion don't want to risk that they might be wrong and so avoid negotiation unless there is an over-riding reason to enter negotiation. In the meantime, society may be held hostage by the rigid minds if permitted to do so.

Thread Information