Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Would you counter-protest?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My DH is a Republican but did not vote for him and I am glad. It would have been difficult if he had. Bernie would have made a much better president then either Hillary or the orange one.
    Bernie should have won the democratic nomination...........Putin was obviously pulling for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Regardless of whether he meets your criteria of "Real Republican" the reality is that every other republican politician now has to decide whether to stand with him or stand against him.
    Is that really true, or is it just a dramatic pose people like to strike? The president isn't a king you must either swear fealty to or fight to strike down. You might agree with him on immigration but disagree with him on trade, for instance. Why does it need to be such a stark Manichean choice?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is that really true, or is it just a dramatic pose people like to strike? The president isn't a king you must either swear fealty to or fight to strike down. You might agree with him on immigration but disagree with him on trade, for instance. Why does it need to be such a stark Manichean choice?
    I thought black and white thinking was the exclusive province of conservatives.At least, we are the ones accused of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Then how come pretty much every politician that has spoken out these last few days has been careful to condemn racism and all that but has specifically not said anything about the deplorable in chief's false quivalency 'both sides are at fault' BS?

Then how come pretty much every politician that has spoken out these last few days has been careful to condemn racism and all that but has specifically not said anything about the deplorable in chief's false quivalency 'both sides are at fault' BS?
    Because sometimes, like it or not, you have to do business with obnoxious idiots.

While it's true that trump is a big believer in grudges I doubt he'd veto a bill because some of the senators that voted for it called him out as a racist. And that seems to be about the extent of "having to work with trump." It's not as though trump has anything more than the most cursory knowledge or understanding of any of the policy issues that congress might consider, so it's not as though he can contribute anything more meaningful to the "doing business" thing than the scrawl of his signature on whatever bill congress produces.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What's going on down there?
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yick.
    A friend just posted on facebook something that seems to be the perfrct response. The protest is planned to be in the presodio because it's federal land and not subject to the city's more restrictive gun laws. The friend's idea is for everyone to go park in every soace in the presidio. The neonazi white nationalists then have the choice of parking in the city and breaking the city's gun laws or gojng home. No confrontation necessary. I'm sure my dad never thought his car would be used to protest white nationalists, but i cant think of a better use for a 15 year old honda...

The protest is planned to be in the presodio because it's federal land and not subject to the city's more restrictive gun laws.
    That seems an odd strategy on their part, given that you have to go through city jurisdiction to get to the Presidio.

I took a case in CA to the CA Supreme Court over a quite similar issue many decades ago.

The event in Boston yesterday largely went well. Other than a few yahoos who acted out afterwards, it was peaceful.

They did a great job of separating the rally attendees from the counter-protesters. Maybe too much so for the rally organizers, they terminated their event way before it was supposed to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    The event in Boston yesterday largely went well. Other than a few yahoos who acted out afterwards, it was peaceful.

They did a great job of separating the rally attendees from the counter-protesters. Maybe too much so for the rally organizers, they terminated their event way before it was supposed to be over.
    I like that. The Neo-Nazis got to vent their hatred and paranoia among themselves, and the counter protesters got to display their show of moral force removed from potential violence. Now there's a "Moral Majority" I can get behind. Well done, Boston!

Thread Information