Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh beginning of the year, more staff quit

Oh beginning of the year, more staff quit

Oh f..k, I got an email last night that another staff quit. I got an email at 9:30 pm. I check my phone constantly near the beginning of the school year. This was supposed to be the one on one for a special needs kindergartener. That is 2 staff in 3 weeks. I wasn't worried about the other one, and I have been so busy getting my assistant through hiring, that I am behind on hiring already.

My space got moved, I have spent a lot of time just moving. I lost 2 assistant days because of the hiring issues. And my one staff aide is already showing signs of extreme stress or unbalance, she is the one with the DUI last year. I am asking her to reframe things she says in positive terms on a regular basis already. She went from feeling complimented that i was thinking about her for the one on one to literally tearing up the last hour of the meeting about the same thing. I need to hire so i am not counting on her in case she does not make it.

Yeah hiring! School starts Monday!

Oh yuck!

that sort of thing is why I never want to be promoted to the point where I am in charge of anybody over the age of 18.

I hope it settles down for you.

Sorry to hear about your situation. My wife is a teachers aid in a montessori school and very good at it. They added five days to her school year and 8 of her coworkers quit. No change in pay and more responsibility. When the teachers are absent, my wife has to teach because the subs don't know montessori, so they get good pay while my wife does the teaching. Got to love public schools.

why doesn't your wife get her degree so she can make more $? I certainly would not be saving the subs if I was your wife.

I'm sure she saves the subs for the sake of the students, and to preserve order. She has to work with those kids for 186 or so days. If she lets it all go to hell, she's letting the kids down, they feel abandoned, and it all makes her job way harder.

( sorry, veteran teacher, I had to speak up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh f..k, I got an email last night that another staff quit. I got an email at 9:30 pm. I check my phone constantly near the beginning of the school year. This was supposed to be the one on one for a special needs kindergartener. That is 2 staff in 3 weeks. I wasn't worried about the other one, and I have been so busy getting my assistant through hiring, that I am behind on hiring already.

My space got moved, I have spent a lot of time just moving. I lost 2 assistant days because of the hiring issues. And my one staff aide is already showing signs of extreme stress or unbalance, she is the one with the DUI last year. I am asking her to reframe things she says in positive terms on a regular basis already. She went from feeling complimented that i was thinking about her for the one on one to literally tearing up the last hour of the meeting about the same thing. I need to hire so i am not counting on her in case she does not make it.

Yeah hiring! School starts Monday!
    Something depressing, frustrating, and disheartening happened at ZG's job?!

Zoe, at 61, I think I kind of get where you are coming from on the job issues you are describing, such as being underemployed because of years spent taking care of high needs children, having to go get expensive schooling in order to re-enter the workforce, and coming of age at a time when women were badly discriminated against in the workforce, and working while you have health issues and are caring for family. I read your posts with interest and recognition and I am always cheering you on.
    Thanks for your posts; they mean a lot to me.

I am cheering you on as well, you have incredible tenacity and patience

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Zoe, at 61, I think I kind of get where you are coming from on the job issues you are describing, such as being underemployed because of years spent taking care of high needs children, having to go get expensive schooling in order to re-enter the workforce, and coming of age at a time when women were badly discriminated against in the workforce, and working while you have health issues and are caring for family. I read your posts with interest and recognition and I am always cheering you on.
    Thanks for your posts; they mean a lot to me.
    Thank you Tybee, I do think you really get it. There are definitely a lot of things going on that are not simply what happened today at work. I am glad they interest you, I was feeling like not being here for awhile. In any case I am spending a LOT of time getting ready for Monday. More issues, delays, etc. and I am not ready for the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Thank you Tybee, I do think you really get it. There are definitely a lot of things going on that are not simply what happened today at work. I am glad they interest you, I was feeling like not being here for awhile. In any case I am spending a LOT of time getting ready for Monday. More issues, delays, etc. and I am not ready for the first day.
    Hugs and lots of calming breaths coming your way; I think finally seeing the kids there will help make it all see worthwhile, good luck!

Thread Information