Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A challenging morning...

All I can say is "wow"!!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Wow. We also had some excitement in the county, we had 3 fire departments using jaws of life extracting a driver out of a car that went into a trailer. Yes, he was running from the police at the time. Yes, meth or crack was probably involved in the reason for running. car.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I inspected commercial motor carriers under the MCSAP program and federal statutes for seven years. Must be a good downhill grade there and something wrong with the brake system. If there isn't a restriction on using this route...might here be in the future. Do you have a pulloff requiring a driver inspection prior to the downhill and could a runaway truck ramp be constructed? Looks like she tried to miss the house by turning left and rolled it over.
    This is a very small road that leads down a slight slope towards the little hamlet there. It's flat for about 2 miles coming into the nearest high spot, which is about 1/4 mile from the accident sight. (Which is where the truck should have turned, the main through road to their destination intersects there). The change is elevation is pretty minimal, you could pedal a bicycle back up it without noticing it much.

The road leads into two small perpendicular roads that go along the shoreline to a few dozen homes in either direction. It's not a through route, there's no exit available.

The deputy investigating told me the driver claimed to have been lost, having gotten separated from the other two trucks in her convoy of asphalt delivery vehicles.

I am not trained in accident investigation myself, but I noticed no skid marks on the road until the spot on the road where the driver attempted to turn left, which looked like they may have been from the truck loosing traction and sliding sideways while trying to corner. That is, it didn't *look* like there was much of an attempt to brake.

The State accident investigation folks arrived the next day, but I haven't seen what they had to say yet.

My guess is that the driver was lost, flustered, looked up, saw the water right in front of her, and yanked on the steering wheel in an attempt to make the turn instead of going into the ocean.

Williamsmith
    Well that clarifies a lot. I wonder if she had Citizens Band communication with the other drivers. Definitely doesn't seem like mechanical causes. Perhaps cell phone texting or gps inattention. Looking down is the only excuse I can think of. She caused the construction company some major headaches. Might be looking for a new job...but she is alive. That hot asphalt must have a shelf life past which it won't be useful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    That hot asphalt must have a shelf life past which it won't be useful at all.
    We messed the road up pretty bad while removing the truck, between the supports off the tow truck digging up the pavement, and the furrow we plowed with the truck itself removing it from the house, so my hope is that the County Road crew that showed up later in the day made a sweetheart deal for the material to repair the road with.

My poor friend otherwise will have a nice shiny new asphalt garden/side yard :-(

I still have to figure out how to remove the stuff from my favorite boots, which are encrusted.

It would suck to work with asphalt all day, I have decided.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

How was your morning?
    A Microsoft security patch corrupted our active directory domain controller, so I couldn't access some of my key applications. I took a long lunch while they fixed it.

Yesterday sucked here because a bunch of brothers with poor marksmanship terrorized my area. They killed one, put another in critical condition. Some sort of turf war going on.

we heard the shots and then saw the presumed shooter drive fast by our gardene, squealing tires. I reported his and his car's description to cops.

Really, 30 shots to take down two guys? They need to take gun training lessons from bae.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yesterday sucked here because a bunch of brothers with poor marksmanship terrorized my area. They killed one, put another in critical condition. Some sort of turf war going on.

we heard the shots and then saw the presumed shooter drive fast by our gardene, squealing tires. I reported his and his car's description to cops.

Really, 30 shots to take down two guys? They need to take gun training lessons from bae.
    As Rob would say, what a difference a zip code makes. I can't see bae chasing down gangstas on the island. Plus, I watch movies, and I know that it's only the bad guys that are such poor shots.

Sorry your neighborhood had to suffer that, IL.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Tybee, sometimes being away from the road is not enough. We had two girls killed while sitting on a couch in their living room 100 feet from the road. A young girl driving at a high rate of speed (DUI suspected) ran right into the house and killed them. She appears in ADULT court this morning. In addition to the poor girls, the house is probably destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I still have to figure out how to remove the stuff from my favorite boots, which are encrusted.

Kerosene!

Thread Information