Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A challenging morning...

A challenging morning...

I was just sitting down for breakfast when....

Dump truck. Full of hot paving asphalt. Rolling over. Through a house.

Pretty much all the fun. Truck was on fire (brakes and fluids) when I arrived, driver was still trying to self-extricate (amazingly, she lived), garage/house was thinking about catching on fire, underground power line had been compromised, as was the water main.

Hours of fun in the hot sun.

How was your morning?

One of my best friend's mom lives in that house. She brought us out cookies and lemonaide while we were working. Coolness under fire.

I was wondering what happened with the people who lived in that house! Glad they are unhurt.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    One of my best friend's mom lives in that house. She brought us out cookies and lemonaide while we were working. Coolness under fire.
    Just paving the way for future dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I was wondering what happened with the people who lived in that house! Glad they are unhurt.
    The real miracle was that the wee village there's post office is right in the "flight path" of that truck, as was the little store across the street, and it was the mail delivery-pickup time for the small community there, with people milling around in the street, exchanging fish/crabs/jokes, and so on. Could have wiped out 1/2 the hamlet. The driver steered a pretty self-sacrificing course, there was a "better" path, but it would have killed 10-20 people.

Wow, that is a dramatic accident. Sounds like a skilled driver to avoid a much worse accident. Did they keep your breakfast warm?

Just curious why the driver plowed into the house?

Interesting morning to say the least. Grateful that it happened during the light hours when people could see it coming as much as is possible both for the avoidance by the driver and those in its path plus those who came to serve on the scene.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    I inspected commercial motor carriers under the MCSAP program and federal statutes for seven years. Must be a good downhill grade there and something wrong with the brake system. If there isn't a restriction on using this route...might here be in the future. Do you have a pulloff requiring a driver inspection prior to the downhill and could a runaway truck ramp be constructed? Looks like she tried to miss the house by turning left and rolled it over.

This is why I always reject houses that are real close to the street. I like a lawn buffer between me and that truck.

Thread Information