Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Do they realize that at 33% approval/62% disapproval that they have become irrelevant? For one wacky moment they took control. They got him elected. But due to his corruption/incompetence that moment has passed. And will never happen again. They can be as rock stupid as they want. But it's over. The only question now is if their stupid f'ckery will destroy the country before he finally goes away.
    Your words say it’s over but you imply he still has enough juice to thouroughly screw up the country. I don’t see a stick of evidence that Trumps Presidency is in jeopardy. I don’t accept any poll numbers for face value. Especially from any of the participants in the electoral polling process. They blew it bigly failing to predict Trumps election.

Wall Street seems to be liking Trump. Retirees with nest eggs in the market should be liking that. I suspect that three years from now lots of people will be projecting a landslide victory for the Democratic nominee. The hardcore Trumpers are easy to tabulate. But there are plenty of secret admirers who will bash Trump to the face of others and pull the lever next to his name in the election. They’ve been taught how to keep their prejudices counterfeited. After all, if we all didn’t realize this.....there wouldn’t be any angry attacks on him. It would be all but over.....but it’s not.

I guess people will just back a person (as noted above) because they say they are a Republican (conservative whatever).... no matter what they say or do. I read in today's paper about a few politicians bashing each other because one did not back up Trump. The other said he was hurting the Party. I don't get this mentality???? I think you need to look at the person and decide if he represents the Party. If not, he does not deserve your loyalty!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I guess people will just back a person (as noted above) because they say they are a Republican (conservative whatever).... no matter what they say or do.
    Didn't he once say he identified more as a democrat? Weren't there other people saying they were republican/conservative? They why didn't they get that backing?

I think your missing the anti establishment/politician sentiment, that goes back to at least the Perot days, probably long before (I wasn't watching every presidential thing as a kid, and have only lived for so long).
    I think they did look at the person, and it was a statement to BOTH parties.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Didn't he once say he identified more as a democrat? Weren't there other people saying they were republican/conservative? They why didn't they get that backing?

I think your missing the anti establishment/politician sentiment, that goes back to at least the Perot days, probably long before (I wasn't watching every presidential thing as a kid, and have only lived for so long).
    I think they did look at the person, and it was a statement to BOTH parties.
    I don't get what you are saying????

Are you saying people backed Trump, because he claimed he was a Republican?
    Trump also once claimed to be a Democrat.
    Others, said they are Republican and didn't get the support.

Trump did get on a parties ticket, but in a lot of ways, he shakes things up. Kind of the way Perot did in a prior election, except Perot never made it into one of the two primary parties. People voted for him, because he was a shake up and said things they wanted to here, not political two step.
    Now, Trump does the two step, and politicians are frustrated by it, the way lots of citizens feel by politicians in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Are you saying people backed Trump, because he claimed he was a Republican?
    My point is/was that some people will CONTINUE to back a candidate no matter what they do (in this case Trump) based solely on the Party they are affiliated with. I know people who are Trump “backers” who no longer watch the news admittedly because they can’t stand (or justify) what comes out of his mouth. I don’t get blind loyalty!

Williamsmith
    “The Silent Majority......Stands With Trump.”

Last night I sat with two hundred people at a Sportmans Club cash bash and gun raffle. Undoubtedly, this building contained a large proportion of the 33% who grant Trump their approval. The elite media would have one believe these people do not exist, chosing rather to focus on opinions of those “disapproving” implied rational beings.

That their love of the outdoors and the shooting sports necessarily are conjoined with politics is more a function of reacting to assaults on their 2nd amendment than anything else. But to talk to these people you would get the full political spectrum of why they still support Trump. And support Trump...they do.

Immigration, The Wall (doesn’t matter who pays for it), HILLARY, health care reform, world standing, jobs, ambivalence and downright rejection of the Russian investigation, each topic ......they havent changed their minds one wit. One even pointed out that Reagan, had approval numbers lower than Trump and rebounded to be re-elected in a landslide.

Now I could go on explaining this apparent contradiction between fantasy (buyers remorse) and realty but I will let the following article speak for itself. It’s four months old and in politics that’s a long time but it still rings true in the Rust Belt today.

https://amgreatness.com/2017/07/25/p...rt-deep-here2/

Williamsmith, i know the same sort of rust belt, sportsman club member type people you do - a lot of them are my relatives. And I'm talking about my extended family here, because they are typical of this neck of the woods. In many ways they are good people - hard working, family oriented, God and Country. Would do anything for you (if you fit their idea of family). In my family, we've have seen a lot of good jobs leaving, but few of us ever had those jobs. We see immigration on the news, but are only slightly impacted by it. Immigration from southeast Asia and Africa bothers most of them more than those from Latin-America, because they don't get close enough to notice those, while the "others" stand out from a distance - although they rant on about building that damn wall. So, ok, good people but in some ways not - they are racist although they deny it, hated Obama because he was a liberal (but really because he was black) - liberal he surely wasn't! And I know - I'm a liberal. Guns are part of it. Lack of experience outside of this part of the country is part of it. Unrealistic expectations of what the government should/should not provide (whey THEY need and want is important and should be funded; what others may need/want is stupid and unwarranted and outside the Constitution) and how it should be paid for. And overall, they love Trump, mostly because they want to see (insert racist/homophobic/misogynistic/nasty adjective of the day) OTHERS - in the words of my preacher cousin- "ground into the dirt". So yeah, they will continue to support him. The more he acts like them, the more they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Williamsmith, i know the same sort of rust belt, sportsman club member type people you do - a lot of them are my relatives. And I'm talking about my extended family here, because they are typical of this neck of the woods. In many ways they are good people - hard working, family oriented, God and Country. Would do anything for you (if you fit their idea of family). In my family, we've have seen a lot of good jobs leaving, but few of us ever had those jobs. We see immigration on the news, but are only slightly impacted by it. Immigration from southeast Asia and Africa bothers most of them more than those from Latin-America, because they don't get close enough to notice those, while the "others" stand out from a distance - although they rant on about building that damn wall. So, ok, good people but in some ways not - they are racist although they deny it, hated Obama because he was a liberal (but really because he was black) - liberal he surely wasn't! And I know - I'm a liberal. Guns are part of it. Lack of experience outside of this part of the country is part of it. Unrealistic expectations of what the government should/should not provide (whey THEY need and want is important and should be funded; what others may need/want is stupid and unwarranted and outside the Constitution) and how it should be paid for. And overall, they love Trump, mostly because they want to see (insert racist/homophobic/misogynistic/nasty adjective of the day) OTHERS - in the words of my preacher cousin- "ground into the dirt". So yeah, they will continue to support him. The more he acts like them, the more they love it.
    The problem with this view is that to accept it you have to believe that a large portion of the country are hopelessly ignorant racists. You in fact need to construct a stereotype of loutish gun-toting bigots as a sort of progressive's version of "welfare queens". I think the situation that produced Trump is a lot more complex than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The problem with this view is that to accept it you have to believe that a large portion of the country are hopelessly ignorant racists. You in fact need to construct a stereotype of loutish gun-toting bigots as a sort of progressive's version of "welfare queens". I think the situation that produced Trump is a lot more complex than that.
    So are you saying that early morning doesn't know her relatives very well? The difference between what she described and Reagan's mythical welfare queen is that early morning actually knows these people and presumably interacts with them. They aren't some fictitious characters.

Thread Information