Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

My views when I lived in fly over country was the same as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm sure it would be nice for Presidential candidates to tailor their messages to a few high population coastal areas rather than an entire country. Getting those folks in the middle on board is such a bother, they don't call it fly-over country for nothing.
    I never understood why it matters where people live. People are people. I vote to abolish the electoral college also!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I never understood why it matters where people live. People are people. I vote to abolish the electoral college also!
    Because it's the states which ultimately elect the highest office in the land, not the people. The Federal Government was designed to be a client of the states, the House of Representatives was set up to represent the people in a purely democratic form and the Senate representing the States, providing a means for all parties to have a measure of control over the Feds and prevent the feared 'Tyranny of the Majority'.
    The Electoral College ensures that each state has relatively equal per capita influence by assigning a varying number of electoral votes dependent upon their populations. Without the College, it's possible for several high population States to completely control the top executive position.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, in order ti get the slave states to agree to rhe constitution they set us up for 200+ years of tyrany of the minority. Because after all. Why should the state that represents the soxth largest economy in the world have any say in the selection of the president?

Because it's the states which ultimately elect the highest office in the land, not the people. The Federal Government was designed to be a client of the states, the House of Representatives was set up to represent the people in a purely democratic form and the Senate representing the States, providing a means for all parties to have a measure of control over the Feds and prevent the feared 'Tyranny of the Majority'.
    The Electoral College ensures that each state has relatively equal per capita influence by assigning a varying number of electoral votes dependent upon their populations. Without the College, it's possible for several high population States to completely control the top executive position.
    Thanks, I never saw or understood that before. I had always thought the President was representative of the people by the individual vote of the people. Never understood the role of the Electoral College. Maybe heard it phrased somewhat differently and so it didn't register properly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This Presidency has unraveled to the point that I just had a serious discussion with my husband two hours ago: Where exactly do my loyalties lie when Trump is mercifully stripped of his office, however this comes to be? Do I spend all my time at the Neighborhood Block Party, feeding my neighbors with the dishes I've promised (and will follow through on, money is already set aside and budgeted for this so no debt will be incurred), or do I spend time in Mexico for the joyous celebrations there? I've already been invited to parties - taking place at whatever date Trump gets the heave-ho - in Colonia Kennedy, an upscale neighborhood in Nogales (on the Mexican side) where my husband has relatives. I owe Mexico so much as it's always been there for me with affordable medical and dental care - at times when my life was not worth this in the United States. I'm not one to forget such or be disloyal to such.

Ay carumba! I so wish Hillary Clinton had won, then there would be no need for such soul searching....I truly find this question of loyalty - where to spend time on the day Trump is out of office regardless of what means achieve this - extremely stressful as it's very gritty, very real, and very telling of one's character at a level some here are not going to understand. So on the one hand, I'd be thrilled to have Trump out of office, regardless of the fact that Pence is bad news, too - on the other, my remorse due to Trump is loyalty remorse - to which nation do I owe my presence to more on whatever future day Trump is out of office? I called my Mom and she's stumped on this one, too - given what a safety valve Mexico has been to me it's not an easy question. I'm ambivalent on this one, I really am. Rob

PS This is Donald Trump at work for me - making my life perplexing at new and before this, at unheard of levels!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes, in order ti get the slave states to agree to rhe constitution they set us up for 200+ years of tyrany of the minority. Because after all. Why should the state that represents the soxth largest economy in the world have any say in the selection of the president?
    You have the same proportional say as any other state, it's just that your higher number of electoral votes were not enough to negate the other states.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I truly find this question of loyalty - where to spend time on the day Trump is out of office regardless of what means achieve this - extremely stressful as it's very gritty, very real, and very telling of one's character at a level some here are not going to understand.
    That's really quite a First World Problem, wondering how best to express one's character by choice of party location.

Good luck with the selection!

You have the same proportional say as any other state, it's just that your higher number of electoral votes were not enough to negate the other states.
    Than why dont the presidential candidates ever come to my state. And why are wyoming's voters seven times more important than me?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Than why dont the presidential candidates ever come to my state. And why are wyoming's voters seven times more important than me?
    Why waste resources on a sure thing? A little more ideological diversity would make California very popular.

Wyoming's 3 electoral votes are actually only 3 times more important than California's, although that's cancelled out by the District of Columbia's 3 electoral votes from roughly the same population.

Thread Information