Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Whoa! CD Changer??? That's so 1995...
    I tried downloading music, but it put too much strain on my modem.

What can I tell you, I hang on to old stuff that still works for me. My grandfather's tools. My HP12C. My wife. The Bill of Rights.

My sixth grade teacher (1980) would bring in disco records every friday and we would spend the last hour of the school week learning how to dance. Judging from how I dance she probably should have brought her records in more often...
    What a terrible thing to do to a child!

Mine whacked us with a ruler. I think I got the better deal.

people's experience of their youth, actually sometimes has no larger political relevance (at least student loans or something does). Birth control is more effective (some flawed pills back then) now than it was then, and some of it safer now as well. Whatever the 70s were, I can sure assure you that growing up in the decades that followed very little that was positive was left over. It is fairer to blame Reaganism than the 70s as without that everything would be much more postiive, however given that in the mix it all kind of becomes a muddle (I mean I think things became mutual reinforcing in some cases or in other cases generated such a bad counterreaction that we lived with the mess). Women are free to support themselves but the job market and economic conditions in which they must became ever more brutal.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I tried downloading music, but it put too much strain on my modem.

What can I tell you, I hang on to old stuff that still works for me. My grandfather's tools. My HP12C. My wife. The Bill of Rights.
    I hope you remember to rewind the tapes before you take them back to Blockbuster.

I hope you remember to rewind the tapes before you take them back to Blockbuster.
    Come now, Ldahl is kind.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Come now, Ldahl is kind.
    Indeed. I'm sure he'd rewind them even without a sticker imploring him "Be kind. Rewind."

I gave up on Blockbuster. I could never get their tapes to run on my Betamax.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I gave up on Blockbuster. I could never get their tapes to run on my Betamax.
    Talk about buyers remorse, I'm still irritated that VHS became the consumer standard over Beta. I think Mr Franklin would have said "Those who give up video quality to obtain a little more storage space deserve neither".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    he may not be all bad or his administration anyway, NAFTA renegotiating plans don't sound all bad from what I understand. But maybe someone knows all the details on that better, as the devil is *always* snuck in the details in those types of things, and I'm no expert there.

Yes of course, he's *mostly* bad, I just said perhaps not all. But both parties are really in total disarray (although the Dems aren't even able to hold almost any even nominal power). And on the Dem side they still have pretty much no real positive program to offer (as the NAFTA stuff reminds me - how the Dems love trade agreements even though they just seem another factor in everything getting worse). But they plan to beat trump with nothing I suppose. Could happen but might not, if so and they win on a platform of nothing, then Trump will have lowered the bar so much that noone is even hoping for anything at all positive from voting anymore, not a positive development really.
    ANM - I voted for Hillary Clinton (no great surprise for you'all there at this point, no LOL?) - with one of the main reasons being that Hillary Clinton would not bash Mexico as Trump did/continues to do....thereby potentially putting at risk access to affordable health and dental care located right across the border that is a lifeline for so many Americans, especially those needing expensive procedures and/or those is low-wage border states. My point here is that I am so disillusioned with US politics that one of my chief reasons for voting that way I did was I was afraid that access to health care in a FOREIGN country might be cut off - that says A LOT about how much faith I have in the United States when you get right down to it. For those of you who don't get this - A). Be glad you don't but realize that your financial situation could change in the blink of an eye and you are not immune from understanding this at a later date, and B). I was far from the only vote for Hillary Clinton cast for this very reason. Certainly I'm far from the only one disillusioned to this level. Rob

I remember paying $1000 for a JVC vcr around 1980. And then had to pay $100 just to have a membership to rent videos.

i was looking hard at he Sony Betamax, but they did not have much of a selection of movies to rent.

Thread Information