Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

They don't seem to differentiate between assumption of intelligence and actual intelligence. And becoming intelligent might help them learn how to tell apart the two. But I'm sure I'd get called an elitist snob for making that suggestion.
    so the question for the ages: how would one define intelligence? Because if one just means being informed and well read about political theory, history, or even the news, then it's probably more direct (and less insulting) to just say so as in: what I mean by that is looking at 3 newspapers a day and closely following the inner workings of the Trump administration. Fair enough, and not everyone will but those who do will be more informed about that for sure.

But hey, if we get in a nuclear war with North Korea we'll undoubtedly blow them off the face of the planet many teams over. Those of us who survive can be all proud about how great he made America, chanting "USA! USA! USA!"
    We did that to Japan, only nation that has ever used nuclear weapons. USA! And there might be a limit to how much people care, or they have way more immediate concerns like day to day economic survival (isn't it usually argued that foreign policy is not a big influence on most people's voting decisions? so don't expect it to suddenly become so in that case). But anyway if this happens it would so obviously be ultimately the fault of systems not just Trump ... No one person should ever be allowed to start a nuclear war, I mean duh, if that's actually how it is set up it is a failed system period (truthfully it would seem like a stupid system - the term stupid makes sense there). Now could a bunch of military bigwigs and intelligence types and the president, making nuclear war also make a bad decision? Of course they could. The best and the brightest ...

And people wondered why folks argued for nuclear disarmament, because we have little assurance that those in charge will actually make the right decision with such powerful weapons, sometimes it seems nuclear war has been avoided more through luck than any great brilliance.
    Trees don't grow on money

i suppose it's true that most people don't vote based on foreign policy. But maybe that will change if the president's unstable and threatening statements goad NK into sending a nuclear bomb or two at us. If a couple of US cities are left smoking, irradiated ruins maybe those personal economoic concerns will rightfully take a back seat, but it will be too late at that point.

As long as Trump's real estate holdings remains unaffected, he'll just issue a few tweets and an angry speech or two.

Well, seemingly, Trump had buyer's remorse about Bannon because looks like he's got one foot out the door.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

i suppose it's true that most people don't vote based on foreign policy. But maybe that will change if the president's unstable and threatening statements goad NK into sending a nuclear bomb or two at us. If a couple of US cities are left smoking, irradiated ruins maybe those personal economoic concerns will rightfully take a back seat, but it will be too late at that point.
    there is no rightfully to it, or no absolute argument on why economic concerns should take a backseat (I'm not saying trump does much good there mind you - if the guy was coming out with job programs etc. there would be a stronger argument for him), especially as nuclear war is just a hypothetical and people's economic issues could be hypothetical (worried about a layoff that may or may not happen) or might be lived reality right now. So kind of why should they value some hypothetical over the real? It's not EVEN a hypothetical that we can predict fairly well like climate change etc.. because it might happen and might not (look there is no doubt climate change IS happening but nuclear war truly is a hypothetical).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    so the question for the ages: how would one define intelligence?
    I try to always make the assumption that I'm not the smartest one in the room. Even when I'm alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I try to always make the assumption that I'm not the smartest one in the room. Even when I'm alone.
    It's probably wise to allow for any extra-dimensional intellectuals who may be lingering...
    But me--if I'm alone, I claim it!

You don't have to be highly educated to be smart. Many educated people are not intelligent. Obama was smart, thoughtful, caring, a great speaker and he had class. Trump does not possess 1 of those attributes. This election has shown that the electoral college has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This election has shown that the electoral college has to go.
    I'm sure it would be nice for Presidential candidates to tailor their messages to a few high population coastal areas rather than an entire country. Getting those folks in the middle on board is such a bother, they don't call it fly-over country for nothing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's good that presidential candidates can tailor their messages to lower population areas in the center of the country and ignore the high population center areas on the coasts. Getting those snobs on the coasts on board is such a bother. They dont call them the coastal elite for nothing.

Thread Information