Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I guess it depends on which lens you are looking through. I would not give the Weather Underground and the SLA credit for defining the decade. You think their "terrorism" was worse than what we're facing now?

And what's wrong with New Age religion? What crime? Was it worse than the crime engendered by prohibition in the 20s? What's wrong with Marxism? What's wrong with Carter? Sure he wasn't the best president, but he was a very decent man, unlike our current Commander-In-Chief. People are still preaching doom: The Muslims Are Going to Kill All of Us!!!!! White People Are Endangered!!!!

Movies and music were awesome.

What Nazis???

Sorry, LDAHL, but I think you lived through a different 70s entirely. I loved my Carole King, my Elton John, Jimmy Carter; SNL; the increasing equality for women and minorities; the fact that I actually would be able to achieve my career goals, unlike my mother; banning tobacco ads; finally pulling out of that god-awful Vietnam War; and I was able to take my higher earnings as a woman working at a REAL career at NBC and buy my own Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress.
    My point was that most thinking people will look back on the teens the way most thinking people think of the seventies: a good decade to put behind us, and for many of the same reasons.

And please, the only thing worse than the treacly confessional singer-songwriter phenomenon was Disco, the musical equivalent of lip gloss. Nothing like the creative flowering of the eighties. Devo. Holly and the Italians. The B-52s. The Pretenders. The Talking Heads. Black Flag. Elvis Costello.

What Nazis? You never heard of Skokie? Illinois Nazis and the ACLU? You should google it or watch the Blues Brothers.

As to crime, pre-Giuliani New York was a combination slaughterhouse and open sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My point was that most thinking people will look back on the teens the way most thinking people think of the seventies: a good decade to put behind us, and for many of the same reasons. ....

What Nazis? You never heard of Skokie? Illinois Nazis and the ACLU? You should google it or watch the Blues Brothers.

As to crime, pre-Giuliani New York was a combination slaughterhouse and open sewer.
    One march in Illinois hardly rivals the current resurgence of the alt.right. Every time you think Nazi ideology is in its death throes, here it comes again--just like Freddy Krueger.

"Most thinking people?" The seventies represent a time when the citizenry stood up and made real social progress--the very opposite of what is happening under Trump. It remains to be seen if his corrupt, toxic regime results in a backlash that enriches us all. Or if his brand of evil will set us back a generation or more.

(My memory didn't serve me, so I looked up the Weather Underground. I knew they generated a lot of ink at the time. With all their bomb-throwing (literally), their one casualty was a peace officer named Walter Schroeder, cravenly shot from behind by ex-con William Gilday. Indefensible, but nothing compared to the damage inflicted by Viet Nam, which reverberates to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

(My memory didn't serve me, so I looked up the Weather Underground. I knew they generated a lot of ink at the time. With all their bomb-throwing (literally), their one casualty was a peace officer named Walter Schroeder, cravenly shot from behind by ex-con William Gilday. Indefensible, but nothing compared to the damage inflicted by Viet Nam, which reverberates to this day.
    Exactly, and then there's the SLA who would have gotten NO press whatsoever if they hadn't kidnapped Patty Hearst.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My point was that most thinking people will look back on the teens the way most thinking people think of the seventies: a good decade to put behind us, and for many of the same reasons.
    Dude! Disco is great (if you learn a few dance steps)! And what a libertine decade! No AIDS, antibiotics worked like a charm, and birth control was in fashion!

I'd much prefer to have spent my youth in the 1970s than in the 2000s.

Exactly, and then there's the SLA who would have gotten NO press whatsoever if they hadn't kidnapped Patty Hearst.
    Any violence that a tiny minority on the left may have generated pales by a factor of thousands when compared to the endless warmongering of the right, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Dude! Disco is great (if you learn a few dance steps)! And what a libertine decade! No AIDS, antibiotics worked like a charm, and birth control was in fashion!

No! No! You're better than that!

Disco culture reduced music to mere rhythm, romance to mere sex, human contact to mere display and the deepest yearnings of the human heart to mere status anxiety. It substituted conformity and narcissism for poetry and passion. I lived through those dark days, and I thank God America came to its senses before it was too late. I literally saw it make good people stupid.

No! No! You're better than that!

Disco culture reduced music to mere rhythm, romance to mere sex, human contact to mere display and the deepest yearnings of the human heart to mere status anxiety. It substituted conformity and narcissism for poetry and passion. I lived through those dark days, and I thank God America came to its senses before it was too late. I literally saw it make good people stupid.
    So what music of today do you consider so transcendent?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So what music of today do you consider so transcendent?
    My lawn mower produces music more transcendent than disco, but I checked my CD changer and see Claire Martin, Dave Frishberg, John Lee Hooker, Terry Blaine, Keb Mo and Eleni Mandel. I'm not sure most of that qualifies a "music of today", though.

My lawn mower produces music more transcendent than disco, but I checked my CD changer and see Claire Martin, Dave Frishberg, John Lee Hooker, Terry Blaine, Keb Mo and Eleni Mandel. I'm not sure most of that qualifies a "music of today", though.
    Whoa! CD Changer??? That's so 1995...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

My sixth grade teacher (1980) would bring in disco records every friday and we would spend the last hour of the school week learning how to dance. Judging from how I dance she probably should have brought her records in more often...

Thread Information