Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer's remorse about Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I think a lot of people who voted for Trump weren't so much interested in his personal qualities or policy goals as they were in flipping the bird to a condescending and indifferent political establishment.
    As far as my DH is concerned, it was that, and also probably the promise of at least an attempt to wind back the clock to "the good old days" reflected in the TV shows of the 50s. Now, when I ask DH about buyer's remorse, he expresses not condemnation, but exasperation--like the parent telling the unruly kid that he is a very good boy but he should just listen to the teacher more (smile, wink).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why do you ask? Were you planning on making them wear scarlet "Ts"?

I think a lot of people who voted for Trump weren't so much interested in his personal qualities or policy goals as they were in flipping the bird to a condescending and indifferent political establishment.
    LDAHL has been paying attention. He is 100% on the mark. Trump was simply a tool. And it wasn't at all clear just how much of a stone in the shoe he would be to the snobby establishment but it has turned out to be more than the Pissed off masses could have imagined. The people that voted for Trump to Make America Great Again are smiling with glee every time he tweets and gets on somebody's nerve. Mid terms are approaching. If you want to get elected in the Rust Belt.....you better not waffle on Trump. Double down.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As far as my DH is concerned, it was that, and also probably the promise of at least an attempt to wind back the clock to "the good old days" reflected in the TV shows of the 50s. Now, when I ask DH about buyer's remorse, he expresses not condemnation, but exasperation--like the parent telling the unruly kid that he is a very good boy but he should just listen to the teacher more (smile, wink).
    Ya know the 'good old days' were not that good for a lot of people. So I understand some of this, but I as a woman I do NOT want to go back. I am sure there are a lot of people when they are honest do not consider the good old days that great.

I think I really don't understand many things right now, I just posted on my FB that I am willing to talk to white people who are struggling or opposite of me (both of them!). I think a fundamental difference is how it affects you when someone does or is something different. I have dealt with this my whole life, friends who want you to do what they are doing and have everything from irritation to full blown melt downs when you are different. I am sure it is wired in our brains in some way, but I have been that person who is generally the different one. I notice the awkwardness or the discomfort, or the curiosity or interest, when this happens. Past the age of 13 I have generally been in this situation in my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Ya know the 'good old days' were not that good for a lot of people. So I understand some of this, but I as a woman I do NOT want to go back. I am sure there are a lot of people when they are honest do not consider the good old days that great.
    That's exactly what I tell him. Never mind the tough time non-white minorities had. His own mother was widowed at the age of 43 and had to learn to drive and support her family on a store clerk salary. My mother kicked my father out due to alcoholism, and found her best last resort was to remarry because her earning potential was tapped out at $2 an hour as a bookkeeper, plus she had to withstand being somewhat of a social pariah because of the divorce. I agree--the good old days weren't that great.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Thats not true dmc.......your investments in the stock market are worth a good deal more.
    Stress from all the daily drama... is not worth it. Also, Trump takes credit for things he actually had no part in. Our economy was on the uphill climb before he came along!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Something that gives me hope is that his base is continuing to shrink and that more and more GOP members/senators are drifting away from him. I am having more and more conversations with people OUTSIDE of the 85006 that want to see him gone and out of power - even some conversations up in North 85016 - which means nothing to almost everyone here, the area I refer to is a ritzy area a few miles to my north - a shopping/office park intersection with the highest office space rents in the Metro Phoenix area. I've overhead office workers walking by this intersection bemoaning Trump and his missteps/attempts at viable policies while I have been in this ritzy area doing secret shops. I've also spoken to service folks in this area and anti-Trump speech seems to be a bonding tool with such folks much like it is for me with a few other safe temps when I serve banquets at the Convention Center. (Let me clarify when I speak to the other temps - I don't speak to the guests on the floor about such matters).

My take is that it is not going to take too much longer and I will be able to wear my impeachment outfit and stand proudly with my husband on a joyous day when Donald Trump is stripped of his executive powers. Matter of fact, the way things are going with his polling so horribly lately and his base shrinking and more and more of his own party turning against him? Given his huge ego, he may just walk away from the Oval Office voluntarily and hand the keys to Pence on his way out. We would still have a Neighborhood Block Party in the 85006! I've even cashed in on Mobee, a secret shopper app I use, for $50 in Amazon.com gift code credit and have bought a nice set of plates specifically for the day in which Trump no longer is President. If anyone is curious, they are red and black plates that very much remind me of Spain, which is totally besides the point other than I'm ready to celebrate with style!

I personally have no buyer's remorse with Trump as I did not vote for him. I also see some good in his holding the job and making so many missteps/creating and causing so many issues. People are going to think twice next election cycle and vote perhaps more Independent or Democrat out of disgust for Trump, thereby weakening the GOP and leading to a minimization of strippage of basic human rights. So long term, this Trump fiasco may have it's silver lining - but a long term perspective needs to be taken in order to see such. At least in the 85006 we can say the man was toast the first time he got up to speak at a debate before the election even took place, we have that as a point of pride. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Stress from all the daily drama... is not worth it. Also, Trump takes credit for things he actually had no part in. Our economy was on the uphill climb before he came along!
    Don't drop dead of shock anyone here, ok? My take is that at first, the election of Donald Trump did indeed boost the stock market a bit due to his rhetoric and the fact that the market loved his rhetoric. Now, however, due to his missteps and the lofty very hard to justify overvaluations of most stocks, Trump may very well be a net negative or rather a liability to the markets. I'd love to see the GOP explain it away if a Trump misstep caused a serious correction in the lofty valuations in today's stock market! They would be on the hook for such for some time. And I would not be surprised if such is indeed not far off.......Patience, folks, as I often say in conversations in the 85006 - our day is coming! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I could give the Trump bump in the stock market at least a little credence based on tax cut speculations and cost savings due to regulatory roll-backs. Tumpanomics does not hold water for me and so far it's just a lot of speculation. The talking heads say stocks are overvalued and due for a correction, though I doubt they really know.

I could also speculate the the ACA repeal failed in part due to poor presidential leadership. So I could give T a little credit for that.

If Trump is out, Pence is in. I don't have a problem with that. As long as Hillary is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I could give the Trump bump in the stock market at least a little credence based on tax cut speculations and cost savings due to regulatory roll-backs.
    As an investor, I see now very little chance that the few minor tax code changes I wanted to see will come to pass.

As an aside, I think people who blame/credit Presidents for stock market performance are mistaken about how the market works.