Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Neo-Nazis Should Not Have The Right To Rally"

"Neo-Nazis Should Not Have The Right To Rally"

This is a really good one y'all! It is from HuffPo.

"It is “radical” to suggest that these demonstrators should not have been granted the right to rally in the first place. This is “un-American.” But to truly change the racist fabric of American culture and move the needle towards racial reconciliation and a safe place to live for all Americans, our country needs to truly dismantle the racist employment of the law and enforce legislation that changes our racist culture. This means, white neo-Nazi’s are not granted the right to assemble."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...us_contributor

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/432/43.html

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/432/43.html
    I remember that march on Skokie, since I lived in Chicago at the time. Here was Mike Royko's take on it:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/c...kiepo001/id/41

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I remember that march on Skokie, since I lived in Chicago at the time. Here was Mike Royko's take on it:
    Yes, people love to use violence.

You know, UL, we are not your classmates in the school of social work and I would be extremely surprised if someone here agreed with the theoretical idea that neo-Nazis should not have the right of assembly protected by our Constitution.

But it is when practicality comes up that we will get into the weeds of the debate. I heard on NPR, and I assume it's true, that this Nazi group in VA was awarded a permit to hold a rally, but the permit was rescinded when they didn't come in to the area in the way it was agreed they would. Or perhaps they had many followers that didn't know the drill of where they were supposed to enter. So even though they have the theoretical "right" to march, on this particular day, permission was revoked due to practical considerations.

So what's my point? I guess it is that a practical revocation of marching rights, happeneing enough times, is a defacto limit on the right of assembly. If the city of Charlottesville revokes permission enough times, we have a big problem. We have seen right wing rallies denied on the West coast due to safety concerns, and I understand that. If someone gets hurt a bunch of you will moan about how the police didnt protect them. Officers on the street and their leaders will almost always counsel city brass to stop meet ups of large crowds that threaten to get out of hand because these crowds simply are not predictable or controllable, and street cops are ot especially i terested in supporting you while you exercise your co stitutoonal,rights.

I still think the best approach is to let the little skin heads march their little march, wave their tiny flags, shout their silly words. We should stay away so they soon get bored.

oh, and HuffPo's stance is ridiculous, nearly as ridiculous as the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You know, UL, we are not your classmates in the school of social work and I would be extremely surprised if someone here agreed with the theoretical idea that neo-Nazis should not have the right of assembly protected by our Constitution.

But it is when practicality comes up that we will get into the weeds of the debate.
    Reasonable restrictions on time, place, and manner have been found to be Constitutional. As you say, the devil is in the details there.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-suprem...t/312/569.html

Remember the fun of the "free speech zones" during the Bush and Obama administrations?

Nothing like showing up to rally inside a cage!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What do you mean here?

You know I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Remember the fun of the "free speech zones" during the Bush and Obama administrations?

Nothing like showing up to rally inside a cage!
    Yes, I remember that. Totally ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What do you mean here?

You know I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU, right?
    I think many of your social work classmates would agree with the Huff Po article.

I don't know anyone on this board who would agree with the
    Huff Po article.

I wasnt talking about you, personally. I dont think you will stir up much controversy here because most reasonable adults accept that weve gotta give even skinheads their rights as Americans.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-16-17 at 9:52pm.

Thread Information