Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obituaries

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You are so right. I hope to someday be that person that challenges the newspaper editor. For now, I'm still just a stupid arse. My husband is the one who takes on the world for me, and he learned those skills from my dearly departed MIL. She was the only person I know who could get a free hotel room because the pool closed an hour early. I was there. I witnessed it.
    Im guessing she was like my whole family who had little to no discretionary money and little white envelopes with money stuffed in it for the monthly bills. What she did wasn't getting something "free" , it was preserving hard earned income. One of my pet peeves is showing up at a hotel and finding the pool, "closed for maintenance". That's an automatic "freebie."

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Im guessing she was like my whole family who had little to no discretionary money and little white envelopes with money stuffed in it for the monthly bills. What she did wasn't getting something "free" , it was preserving hard earned income. One of my pet peeves is showing up at a hotel and finding the pool, "closed for maintenance". That's an automatic "freebie."
    Yup. That was my MIL. She would scrutinize every "line" (Scottish for "receipt") and she would almost always find a reason to go to Customer Service and fight for a few cents on a pound of apples that was supposedly on sale. That's exactly how she managed to raise two children on a Macy's sales clerk salary.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love reading obits and figure it is one way of acknowledging someone's existence in this strange plane we find ourselves in. The thought of outliving someone hasn't crossed my mind when looking at them - yet. I always recall one that mentioned the things the person loved (rain, peaches on vanilla ice cream, train rides...and the very small kindnesses she showed. No mention of her education, work history or "accomplishments" which was refreshing.

I would have definitely went to see the editor about that huge amount for the obit. When I was 34 we bought our first new car and I was to get 500 off for just earning my degree. So I brought the diploma in and they made a copy and assured me I would receive it in a short amount of time. Well long story short the salesman never did the paperwork. When I pursued it they told me that it was too late. I told them I expected my $. Then they sent me a bouquet of flowers to work and I was seething. Did they think that was going to make up for the fact they owed me 500. So I started to call the manager daily and finally I told him since I was only working p.t. I intended to picket their dealership everyday until I got my $. I received my $ quickly.

I read the obituaries for my hometown daily. It has both a bad gang problem and a heroin problem, along with high unemployment. I've noticed a larger number of young people, too. A very casual observation, but there also seems to be more people living to over 90. Some of those older people have had more adversity and adventure than most people in our modern culture. I find inspiration in reading about those who struggled with small scale farming, survived wars, single mothers raising several successful children, and the small family businesses that started on a shoestring back before box stores. It's a changing world.

My last experience with running an obit cost about $500 for the basic verbiage. I've noticed that some people now are just running a short notice and referring to the funeral home for a full notice. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Interesting - I had noticed that obits in my local paper had trickled off to nothing over the past few years. Now I know why.

Five years ago I made all the preparations for my mom's death in advance. Nobody in the family was interested or felt they could deal with it. I couldn't believe the difference from place to place and how easy it would be to manipulate somebody who was grieving. I had a sense of humor about it which was not appreciated by the funeral directors. It wasn't long after my mom's death that I actually started working with people who had lost somebody in an unexpected manner and needed help to negotiate "the system" ASAP. My son then went to work for a company that contracts out to the Medical Examiner and I got even more education from him. If people only knew................

One pet peeve is obits that say "they were born to their parents" .... no kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Interesting - I had noticed that obits in my local paper had trickled off to nothing over the past few years. Now I know why.
    Yeah, they have those "legacy" websites where you can read the obit and also leave a note in a "guest book." I think those are replacing the newspaper obits.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting reading this. When DH passed on, the funeral home had a form for me to fill in with simple questions that I and my daughters considered. The funeral director advised of the approximate cost and submitted the obit to the local paper for the day that I wanted it. It never occurred to me that I had to do the obit and submit if myself.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information