Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Obituaries

With a recent death in the family we took an approach the related more of their personality - their influence on other members of the family, etc. She was a "behind the scenes" type of person who made other people shine and was very comfortable with that. Another obituary on the same page was written in the first person - it was different and I also like it.

I was surprised of what information we were unsure of - places of events, dates, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with putting together some of the basics in advance.

In the vein of building positive expectations, every week in the New York Times I look for obituaries of men who lived to 94 or older. If I find somebody who is interesting in some way, I make a note about him. So gradually I am accumulating a reference group of guys who lived 94, 95, 96 and so up to 104.
    Previously I completed the questionnaire on the website livingto100(dot)com and the calculator said I probably would live to 94.
    In case you were wondering,
    David Rockefeller lived to 101.
    Irwin Corey lived to 102. ("The Professor" comedic persona, also panhandled for the homeless in Manhattan)
    So did Dr. Curly Watson. (Delivered 15,000 babies during 60 years of practicing medicine)
    Senor Wences lived to 103. (Ventriloquist..."S'Aw-Right?... S'Aw-Right!" on the Ed Sullivan Show)
    E. R. Braithwaite lived to 104. (author of "To Sir With Love" autobiographical novel)

Thread Information