Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another border crossing.....

Speaking of Israel, when DH and I were moving back to America a few years ago, he went ahead of me to set things up, while I packed up the apartment and closed things down. It was my job to take our two cats with us. I took them to Ben Gurion in separate crates. One cat is fat, lazy, friendly, and very good natured. The other one is completely the opposite--she's terrified of change and of strangers, but will hiss and attack to defend herself.

Anyway, some young kid had to check them for...whatever. After swabbing the crates for explosive residue, he became very suspicious that the scared cat was implanted with an explosive device! He told me, "Listen, you'd better make that cat act more friendly to me or I won't let you or the cats on your flight." I explained, blah blah, then finally asked for a supervisor. A young woman came over, I told her the difference between the two cats' personalities and explained that there was no one in the entire world that could make a cat be friendlier than it wanted to be. She took one look at the cats, said a few sharp words to the fellow, rolled her eyes, and waved us all through!

Good luck making any cat do anything)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Speaking of Israel, when DH and I were moving back to America a few years ago, he went ahead of me to set things up, while I packed up the apartment and closed things down. It was my job to take our two cats with us. I took them to Ben Gurion in separate crates. One cat is fat, lazy, friendly, and very good natured. The other one is completely the opposite--she's terrified of change and of strangers, but will hiss and attack to defend herself.

Anyway, some young kid had to check them for...whatever. After swabbing the crates for explosive residue, he became very suspicious that the scared cat was implanted with an explosive device! He told me, "Listen, you'd better make that cat act more friendly to me or I won't let you or the cats on your flight." I explained, blah blah, then finally asked for a supervisor. A young woman came over, I told her the difference between the two cats' personalities and explained that there was no one in the entire world that could make a cat be friendlier than it wanted to be. She took one look at the cats, said a few sharp words to the fellow, rolled her eyes, and waved us all through!
    What a nightmare! As a cat lover myself I'm so glad you got your cats through, alive and in one piece! It's an outrage to think of what may have happened had that supervisor not shown up and acted out of common sense! Rob

I crossed the border today *into* Canada, at the main Customs dock in Victoria Harbor in BC. Procedure took 3 minutes using the telephone on the end of the dock to clear in boat, me, and my two passengers. No problems.

Later in the day, I crossed back into the USA at the Customs/Border dock in Roche Harbor, WA. Took about 4 minutes, as the officer had to type in our passport numbers slowly.

Conversation went as such:

Customs fellow: "Where's your boat moored?"

Me: "That's it, the 15' Whaler."

Customs: "No, the boat you just came over from Victoria in..."

Me: "That's the one!"

Customs: "Are you a.....local?"

Me: "Yup!"

Customs: (sigh) "Have a nice day sir..."

We crossed into Canada in June. The questionnaire has multiple questions about bringing in fruit, nuts, meat etc. I had packed a bag of almonds and a ziploc bag of cherries for healthy snacks so I said yes.

I got the 3rd degree. Meat? No. Fruit? Yes a quart ziploc bag of cherries. Nuts? Yes, a snack bag of almonds.....on and on this went. I got those baggies out and SHOWED them!

It started to feel like I should have said NO because I only had a quart of cherries and a snack bag of almonds. I'm not sure what they wanted me to say or do.

Sigh..........

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Just got back from a three month trip where we crossed the US - Canadian border twice each way. Only once did anyone board the RV and he only looked in our fridge. We had said we had a few fruits and vegetables for personal consumption.
    I was surprised no one asked us if we had any animals or anyone else in the RV. Twice we were in long lines which took over an hour to reach the crossing. Twice we had only a fifteen minute wait

We used to travel a lot to foreign countries and my bags always had a paper in them that the TSA had searched them. It got to be a joke in the family because mine were the only ones.

I would rather be inconvenienced for a bit personally so they can do their job as trained.

Thread Information