Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Travel Eclipse Weekend

I guarantee some of these towns will be overwhelmed if the crowd decides to stop for provisions, as a work crew I was on once did in Maupin.

Well so far no gas spike in Branson, MO. I filled up for $2.09 on my way to work this morning. I think it's supposed to be 93-94% totality here. Traffic was fine at 8:30 a.m. I'll try to post tonight when I get to the farm, I plan to leave work by 1 p.m. It's usually about a 4.5 hour drive for me but I plan to make a few stops along the way. I have route options but 1-44 on a Friday to Lebanon is usually busy and accident ridden. 65 straight up through Sedalia has the state fair going on and that's crazy from state fair traffic. I usually go up through Lake of the Ozarks and our state capital Jeff City which is expecting a huge amount of people this weekend, then on through Columbia to the farm. I'm hoping I avoid some of the traffic by leaving at 1....but maybe everyone else is doing that too! Wish me luck!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's all so silly, but predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    why is it silly, to be excited about a major natural phenomena, and want to experience it?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    why is it silly, to be excited about a major natural phenomena, and want to experience it?
    In 1986, my school-age kids were 6 and 8, and the school sponsored a field trip to see Halley's Comet.

The bus left at 3am and travelled an hour to Sandy Hook, NJ to get the best view of it. They still remember it. In fact, the son who was 8 at the time is now probably passing through DC on his way to the eclipse. I think if you're up for adventures like that, why not?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I think part of it is the people and events around you - the whole phenomenon. I could stay where I am and be in the eclipse, but drive (what should be an hour or so away) and be in the middle of the "hoopla". I know that's not for everyone, but for some it is.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

My son just got through DC and he said it's already bumper to bumper on I-95.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My son just got through DC and he said it's already bumper to bumper on I-95.
    Ick.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I guess for the hoopla, and bragging rights--"I sat in traffic for 36 hours!" "Then the clouds rolled in!"
    Maybe that's when you know you're old--when the hoopla isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I guess for the hoopla, and bragging rights--"I sat in traffic for 36 hours!" "Then the clouds rolled in!"
    Maybe that's when you know you're old--when the hoopla isn't enough.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information