Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Eclipse Weekend

Travel Eclipse Weekend

I happen to be headed a few hours north into 100% Eclipse viewing land...not because of the Eclipse but because of an annual Lake Party and Fish Fry Homecoming Party. It's crazy the travel advisories, booked hotels, expected gas shortages, yak, yak, yak! Media really hypes things up a lot more than they use to, don't they? I'm headed north tomorrow and then extending my weekend a few days just to let the expected traffic settle down. I really hope it's not as out and out crazy as predicted and I'm almost sure it won't be, but just in case. Oh and the Eclipse glasses I ordered weeks in advance were on the list recalled of potentially counterfeit. Amazon refunded my money and told me to toss them. And just in case you are curious the convergence of the 2017 Eclipse and 2024 Eclipse will be southwest of Carbondale, IL. convergence.jpg Make your reservations now and see what happens! (I just watched "Bloody Birthday" last night. About 3 children who were born during a full Eclipse and 10 years later go around murdering everyone they can.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My son's 4th wedding anniversary is August 21, and he happens to be that kind of guy totally turned on by things like eclipses, so he, and DDIL, and TWO grandsons are headed town to Charleston tomorrow morning. I think it's exciting, but I don't envy him the crazy traffic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is hard to know how much of the traffic predictions are true. The media loves its doom and gloom, and DH and I never have forgotten Their dire warnings about the Pope's visit to St. Louis and how the crowds would be practically untenable. Yeah, we stood on a downtown block with 0 people on either side of us for several feet to wave to the Pope. The mainstream media pretty much ruined that visit because people were afraid to fight the crowds That did not appear.

But granted, all of the hotels, wineries, B and B Inns, etc are full up cor the solar viewing and have been booked for months, so roads may be a ig mess.

Our investment broker invited us to an Augusta winery for lunch and viewing and I was looking forward to it until I heard the predictions for that rural highway. I cancelled, and feel that is for the best. dH is going to Europe 48 hours later, and we cant be stuck on a highway for hours and hours that day, we have things to do to get ready for his trip and later my trip.

As it is we will be able to see most of the eclipse from our patio.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-17-17 at 4:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is hard to know how much of the traffic predictions are true. The media loves its doom and gloom, and DH and I never have forgotten Their dire warnings about the Pope's visit to St. Louis and how the crowds would be practically untenable. Yeah, we stood on a downtown block with 0 people on either side of us for several feet to wave to the Pope. The mainstream media pretty much ruined that visit because people were afraid to fight the crowds at did t appear.

But granted, all of the hotels, wineries, B and B Inns, etc are full up in the solar viewing and have been booked for months.

Our investment brokerage company invited us to an Augusta winery for lunch and viewing and I was looking forward to it u til I heard the predictions for tha pt rural highway. i cancelled, and feel that is for the best. dH is going to Europe 48 hours later, and we cant be stuck on a highway for hours and hours that day, we have things to do to get ready for his trip and later my trip.

As it is we will be able to see most of the eclipse from our patio.
    Yes, I thought of you when I saw the path, IL! My son actually asked my DDs best friend's parents if they could stay at their home in Charleston. If that doesn't pan out, can they call you? .

Enjoy, and report back! I was thinking of going to Nashville or SC, especially because it's our other son's birthday on 8/20, but I hate the idea of big crowds and traffic. But I'm glad my DS39 is doing it. He'll never forget it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What happens if it's cloudy? I know it will still be dark, but so much rides on the sky being clear. Personally, I won't be attending, but just appreciating the natural occurrence.........and I won't be buying any special junk associated with it.
    I guess I'm a party-pooper.

Where we live will be 84% totality, but we are going on vacation to Massachusetts and it has 63%. Not good planning I guess.

Oregon is one of the prime destinations for eclipse watchers, so my friends and family are planning to stay home. I've seen eclipses before and wouldn't stroll out to my front yard to see one again. I'm mystified that people would travel and endure gridlock for a couple of minutes of darkness (that will be endlessly shown on the teevee), but I expect the event will boost local economies.

The traffic is already beginning to stack up in Oregon according to reports.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I just saw some photos issued by the Oregon State Police, and the backups in some spots are 15 miles+ long already.

I have friends who had to be on I-5 today--hope they got where they were going before gridlock set in...

Thread Information