Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Eclipse Weekend

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Shelves at Costco are beginning to empty. Gas stations are running out of fuel. The trauma group I volunteer for has been asked to work PDX Monday in anticipation of flight cancelations, delays and people getting very upset. I can't wait to see the drain on emergency services and all the garbage left behind.

Headed to TN for the Path of Totality! Leaving Sunday from MI and am sort of worried about the traffic on I75 which would be the shortest route. So excited really, have glasses and the cheesie shirts, iPhone case and even shoes with the eclipse on them. I know silly as it is this sounds so fun to me. Hubby thinks it all so silly. Have hotel for the second night expecting traffic leaving afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Shelves at Costco are beginning to empty. Gas stations are running out of fuel. The trauma group I volunteer for has been asked to work PDX Monday in anticipation of flight cancelations, delays and people getting very upset. I can't wait to see the drain on emergency services and all the garbage left behind.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

There is a festival in Prineville. Traffic is backed up 30 miles and there is a 10 hour wait to get into the festival. I hope people don't need to pee........ PDX has people laying around on the floor looking/waiting for rides to get them into the zone. Gee, all the people who rented cars should sell the empty seats.

My patio, with a glass of Cabernet, is soundIng better and better.

I 15 north from Salt Lake City to the Idaho totality path is bumper to bumper already. It's nuts!

Isn't the eclipse on Monday? Why the heck are the roads backed up 3-4 days before?

Is it so people can start a long weekend of partying? It is such a short time for such a long pre-party.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I happen to be headed a few hours north into 100% Eclipse viewing land...not because of the Eclipse but because of an annual Lake Party and Fish Fry Homecoming Party. It's crazy the travel advisories, booked hotels, expected gas shortages, yak, yak, yak! Media really hypes things up a lot more than they use to, don't they? I'm headed north tomorrow and then extending my weekend a few days just to let the expected traffic settle down. I really hope it's not as out and out crazy as predicted and I'm almost sure it won't be, but just in case. Oh and the Eclipse glasses I ordered weeks in advance were on the list recalled of potentially counterfeit. Amazon refunded my money and told me to toss them. And just in case you are curious the convergence of the 2017 Eclipse and 2024 Eclipse will be southwest of Carbondale, IL. Attachment 1879 Make your reservations now and see what happens! (I just watched "Bloody Birthday" last night. About 3 children who were born during a full Eclipse and 10 years later go around murdering everyone they can.
    Hey Float on, you are somewhat in the same path of totality that I am. I live about an hour or so away from Hopkinsville, KY which has been dubbed "the epicenter" for the eclipse. A friend and I are planning to drive down as close as we can get, and I am coming to believe that "close" is not going to be very near Hopkinsville at all. The path of totality is very near us, so in just a few miles we will be in that anyway. I innocently thought I would leave about 9 a.m. and drive to her house, then we would just "drive on down toward Hopkinsville."! Looks like we will be rethinking that scenerio. Maybe hours to go a few miles, take some water, snacks and gas up a few days ahead (which we have done). It is like preparing for a blizzard! The college town 25 mins. or so from me is expecting about 50,000 extra people to decend on it. Hopkinsville is saying maybe 100,000 - they have been preparing for this for years I have heard. Hotel rooms and campgrounds are booked, and I imagine traffic will start today or this afternoon. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Everyone stay safe in the heavy traffic.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information