Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean recyclables before disposal?

Yes I rinse things out.

Absolutely I rinse things out.
    Unfortunately, since our local town recycling collection center doesn't monitor it very well, people can throw just about anything in there. But I must say, I think most people do clean it up first.

Can you imagine working on the recycling line and having to go through all this stuff? A big thanks to them and I hope they get paid well!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post

Can you imagine working on the recycling line and having to go through all this stuff? A big thanks to them and I hope they get paid well!
    Not a job I would want. More than one body/body part has shown up on recycling lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Not a job I would want. More than one body/body part has shown up on recycling lines.
    I know.........I saw that same Law and Order episode.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I know.........I saw that same Law and Order episode.

A quick Google shows bodies found up here in Woodinville, in Memphis, New York, Akron...And that's just the first page.
    Cheaper than a burial, I guess.

I do. I'm also apparently the only person for blocks around who has read the brochure sent by the recycling folks (what can and can't be collected curbside).

Our kids don't rinse often at all. I'm guessing (hoping?) that may change now that their recycling can has a year's worth of old yogurt and baby food residue in it and will smell kinda ripe when they toss new stuff in there. Then again, maybe they think it's just a diversion from what goes in the garbage and that garbage always smells. I suppose it's good they recycle at all; so many people just can't be bothered.

The biggest challenge for me and many others is binary thinking: recycling doesn't take all plastics, so the rule "it's plastic; it can be recycled" is inaccurate. Ditto the thermal paper provided for receipts in most places; it's not recyclable even though it's "paper". And, a little oddly, our local recycling doesn’t take black plastic at all (perhaps because most of it is already high in recycled content and there's nothing left to separate). *shrug* It's not a big thing to go through it all (when it's clean).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Here in Phoenix we are asked to wash out recyclables before putting them in the can for curb-side pickup. I also found out recently that if you have a plastic bottle you're supposed to keep the top on it when you recycle it. Many years ago we were told to separate them because they are different types of plastic.
    I agree that it's hard to keep up with the rules changing.

Yppej
    I do, but sometimes I am lazy and just toss something (think peanut butter jar) in the regular trash because I don't want to clean it. I choose not to have a dishwasher.

Thread Information