Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are there still Nazis, white supremacists etc?

catherine, on a personal level I wish you no harm, I appreciate that you have read people in my tradition. However I have an issue overall. As short and sweet as I can, I DO know Christianity. I have read many flavors of it. I grew up in a Christian household, I was baptized and confirmed against my protests. I have handled politely the Christians who show up at my door, make billboards, put Bibles in every hotel room. It is pretty hard to be in the US without being very aware of Christianity. I ended up with family that accepted this, after 20 long years of having churches recommended to me every time I moved. My kids were questioned in school for telling people they were atheist. I would not accuse you of this, however I have experienced a lot of arrogance. Like I would be a Christian, in fact a good person, if I just really understood the Christian faith.

After years of working at interfaith attitudes I ultimately think that the core tenets of Christianity and Buddhism are incompatible. We can agree on big humanitarian issues. There are so many non-issues in Buddhism that are a constant news item because of Christians and other faiths. Buddha is not Jesus in disguise. The 8-fold path and precepts are not just a version of the 10 commandments. I say this from teaching/facilitating a meditation group for the last 3 years and practicing for the last 30 years. Experiencing and supporting others in a deep fundamental change is a profound process. It is wonderful to watch the layers of suffering drop away, a deep relaxation and focus. We grow, sometimes slowly and imperfectly, in the actual practices that support acting in the world in a way that addresses our communal suffering. The roots of things like fascism are in deep personal and collective suffering. I think a few more people should be looking into Buddhism, but I have little hope that we will get beyond making excuses for the really bad Christians.

Whew, that was a dump out huh. At least it wasn't a post about work

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    catherine, on a personal level I wish you no harm, I appreciate that you have read people in my tradition. However I have an issue overall. As short and sweet as I can, I DO know Christianity. I have read many flavors of it. I grew up in a Christian household, I was baptized and confirmed against my protests. I have handled politely the Christians who show up at my door, make billboards, put Bibles in every hotel room. It is pretty hard to be in the US without being very aware of Christianity. I ended up with family that accepted this, after 20 long years of having churches recommended to me every time I moved. My kids were questioned in school for telling people they were atheist. I would not accuse you of this, however I have experienced a lot of arrogance. Like I would be a Christian, in fact a good person, if I just really understood the Christian faith.

After years of working at interfaith attitudes I ultimately think that the core tenets of Christianity and Buddhism are incompatible. We can agree on big humanitarian issues. There are so many non-issues in Buddhism that are a constant news item because of Christians and other faiths. Buddha is not Jesus in disguise. The 8-fold path and precepts are not just a version of the 10 commandments. I say this from teaching/facilitating a meditation group for the last 3 years and practicing for the last 30 years. Experiencing and supporting others in a deep fundamental change is a profound process. It is wonderful to watch the layers of suffering drop away, a deep relaxation and focus. We grow, sometimes slowly and imperfectly, in the actual practices that support acting in the world in a way that addresses our communal suffering. The roots of things like fascism are in deep personal and collective suffering. I think a few more people should be looking into Buddhism, but I have little hope that we will get beyond making excuses for the really bad Christians.

Do not be the judge of people; do not make assumptions about others. A person is destroyed by holding judgments about others.
    Gautama Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    In terms of evil, I remember reading M.Scott Peck's book, The People of the Lie a couple of decades ago and being both disturbed and curious. I had never really explored the concept of evil, but he posed some interesting theories about it.
    This is a useful book, and I've recommended it to folks. I've found it personally and professionally helpful. Along with Gavin de Becker's "The Gift of Fear".

I would beg to differ that Buddhism and Christianity are incompatible. Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk, was best buds with TNH--in fact he died while at an interfaith conference. One of my favorite books is "Benedict's Dharma" in which notable Buddhists talk about common elements between Buddhism and the Rule of St. Benedict. If you read Anthony deMello, if you didn't know he was a Jesuit priest you wouldn't be able to tell if he was Hindu, Buddhist or Christian. His life message is about awareness. Because you are a Buddhist, I know I don't have to remind you that the finger pointing at the moon is not the moon.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yesterday a stranger's 6 y.o. brought me a book to read to her. She said "it's about thanksgiving because it has pictures of Indians and people." I told her "Indians are people. And this isn't a very good book. Do you know Amelia Bedelia?"

Why are there still Nazis? "Give me a child until he is 7 and he is mine for life"

We can agree to disagree on this. I know that there are many who see agreement, and i have read some of the arguments. I am not judging Christians in a negative way, just taking each person as they come. I think assuming that someone is interested in interfaith without some evidence is a type of pre judgment.

Meanwhile i just really love what i practice.

We can agree to disagree on this. I know that there are many who see agreement, and i have read some of the arguments. I am not judging Christians in a negative way, just taking each person as they come. I think assuming that someone is interested in interfaith without some evidence is a type of pre judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Yesterday a stranger's 6 y.o. brought me a book to read to her. She said "it's about thanksgiving because it has pictures of Indians and people." I told her "Indians are people. And this isn't a very good book. Do you know Amelia Bedelia?"

Why are there still Nazis? "Give me a child until he is 7 and he is mine for life"
    Do you know the book Encounter? It is about Columbus but from a different perspective. Probably not at a 6 yo level.

I think it's wonderful that you practice and teach mindfulness. The world definitely needs more of that!

Last edited by catherine; 8-20-17 at 3:57pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information