Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eclipse madness

I ordered my ten eclipse glasses in October 2016. At the eleventh hour here, in Oregon, people were giving any amount of money for the cheap things. I had bought them to sell, but somehow, in the end, I just couldn't! The popular coffee company here in town issued thousands for free and then recalled them for being the wrong ones! People were selling them (the recalled ones) on Craigslist for $50.00!! I basically told those people who said they needed glasses that I would give them to them for free but they could give me a donation if they liked. All did, but most only gave me a couple of bucks. I don't know why, but I just couldn't gouge the price for the glasses. I made about $30.00 for the 10 I had. Which was fine. I just couldn't do it! I guess I'm not a true Capitalist.

We made an event out of it. Our location is ~40 miles north of the exact center of the path of totality and we would have had 1 minute and 43 seconds to watch the whole thing. But if we went south we figured we'd get 2 minutes 37 seconds, so who wouldn't? Right? Anyway, we rented a big party bus, had a chef friend cater food in return for a free ride, we provided drinks (DW and I now own a bar), we had a graphic artist friend come up with a design and print t-shirts, etc. Then we called another friend who owns a winery exactly in the center of the path and invaded them for the viewing. Had we stayed home it would have been cloudy, but where we were the clouds parted and we had a perfect view. Bill Nye and crew set up 20 miles from us and, apparently, they had pretty thick high level clouds so we were very lucky! I'd never seen a total eclipse before and I have to say it is striking! I won't be flying to Australia to catch one, but will definitely consider spending a few vacation days in (Austin) Texas in 2024 to catch that one. It was pure fun and really cool.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Thread Information