Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From Make America Great Again to Make Afghanistan Great Again?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. He stuck to the script, and as a result sounded competent. Admittedly a low bar. But to paraphrase Rumsfeld, "As you know, you get presidented by the president you have, not the president you might want or wish to have at a later time."
    Rumsfeld was always a realist. We could do with more of his breed in this tantrum-prone age.

Much like his predecessor, I do think Trump sounds smarter with the teleprompter than without it.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It was an interesting speech - basically I heard Afghanistan needs to fix it, Pakistan needs to fix it, even India needs to fix it. A lot of fluff - I actually didn't hear anything in that speech that we were going to do - did I miss it?

Eclipses traditionally portend disaster. Let's hope not.

We are going to spend money we don't have, that is what we are going to do.

While education is a mess, the elderly live on pennies and crime threatens to take us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    We are going to spend money we don't have, that is what we are going to do.

While education is a mess, the elderly live on pennies and crime threatens to take us.
    It would be nice if we could pay our Secret Service agents for all the overtime they're racking up to shepherd our Wastrel in Chief from golf course to golf course, but the money to do that has apparently run out.

I think it's outrageous that the King expects so much Secret Service coverage. It shows his narcissism, for sure. He's the only one he cares about and has absolutely no empathy or concern for anyone else.
    You know when he sounds a little reasonable, that he's reading from the teleprompter........and they are words that someone else wrote for him. What an unbelievable crazy time this is. We really need him out of there before he destroys everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I liked most of what I heard. No deadlines or red lines that would need to be walked back or denied later. No micromanaging commanders in the field for political purposes. I liked that he showed enough humility to say he had changed his mind from his campaign position.

I thought it was one of his better speeches.
    The President is, of course, privy to information that presidential candidates do not have so changing stances on issues should be expected to some extent. I too am glad that, upon gaining further information, President Trump ‘changed his mind’ on Afghanistan. Shows flexibility or that he can 'evolve' which is the word used with issues in the previous administration. It seems prudent to me that we should all adjust our views on issues if needed when further information is received.

I don't think anyone knows what his real feelings are about anything. He's a chameleon, changing his "beliefs" whenever it suits him at the moment or gets him what he wants at any given moment. And that moment is always changing.
    I'm all for giving people a chance......but IMHO, he is evil and will never change.

Much like his predecessor, I do think Trump sounds smarter with the teleprompter than without it.

Ldahl: I can't believe you are comparing an actual great president, great speaker to this con artist. I did not think I would ever say this but at this point in time I miss Bush. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post

Ldahl: I can't believe you are comparing an actual great president, great speaker to this con artist. I did not think I would ever say this but at this point in time I miss Bush. Ugh!
    Believe it. I always thought he was dreadful off the cuff. I didn't think so much he was a great president as a guy who played one on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Believe it. I always thought he was dreadful off the cuff. I didn't think so much he was a great president as a guy who played one on TV.
    Perfect description of Ronald Reagan.
    The current schlub isn't even that good.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Perfect description of Ronald Reagan.
    The current schlub isn't even that good.
    I see Reagan as the last time greatness inhabited the White House. He brought us out of our petulant funk of the 1960s and 70s. He humbled the Soviet Union. He helped break a cancerous inflation. He reminded us that government serves at the peoples' pleasure and not the other way around. He didn't lecture us about "teachable moments", he spoke to us as an equal. I can't imagine any of the recent incumbents joking with the people wheeling him into the operating room to cut out an assassin's bullet.

I miss the Gipper.