Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's visit very stressful.....

If the cops issue a lawful order to disperse, and you refuse it and subsequently get gassed or otherwise hurt, do you have any grounds for a lawsuit (juicy video notwithstanding)? Absent unreasonable use of force or some other element? You don't often hear of claims getting successfully pursued in cases like this, although I suppose it's possible.

These things always seem like a no-win situation for the cops. Act too gently, and you're accused of standing by while one group attacked another or property got destroyed. Act too vigorously, and it's called police brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    These things always seem like a no-win situation for the cops. Act too gently, and you're accused of standing by while one group attacked another or property got destroyed. Act too vigorously, and it's called police brutality.
    One of my neighbors is Norm Stamper, who was the Chief of the Seattle PD during the WTO riots 1999, the "Battle of Seattle". I've had many fascinating conversations with him on this topic. My conclusion - there's really no way to win at the police/enforcement level of things - the solutions lie elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    What is even more stressful to me is that last night I became sick - not hospital check in sick Thank Goodness - just nausea and throwing up a lot but it doesn't have the underling awfulness to it that my liver infection did. I believe it's just nerves from the stress of being looked down on for not going to the protest.....it's been hard to deal with 85006 social disapproval but ...
    I am saddened by this, and feel bad for you Rob.

That's a lame batch of neighbors who would disapprove of you because of *how* you choose to engage in your civic duties, especially when you aren't doing anything out of line. It doesn't sound like a healthy community.

If the cops issue a lawful order to disperse, and you refuse it and subsequently get gassed or otherwise hurt, do you have any grounds for a lawsuit (juicy video notwithstanding)? ... .
    Many witnesses said No order to disperse was given before police used pepper spray and tear gas canisters. Two of those witnesses are a local city councilman and one of our federal representatives.
    Let's hope the inquiry is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Many witnesses said No order to disperse was given before police used pepper spray and tear gas canisters. Two of those witnesses are a local city councilman and one of our federal representatives.
    Here with the Ferguson, MO riots in honor of Gentle Giant/Saint Michael Brown, it was a badge of honor for some of our local politicians to be seen in the unruly crowds and even to be arrested. It gave them cred. It was an election year for some of them, doncha know.

I imagine something similar could go on in your city.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Do they represent the 85006? I hear it takes a certain amount of street cred to be popular there.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Here in St. Louis the out of control cops shot another citizen. Some protesting in the street over this, and then a car ran into protestors allegedly on purpose.

I suppose it doesnt matter that the citizen came after a police officer with a knife and cut him, and the officers were on site to break up a knifing where the citizen had cut another. Interesting that the citizen was trans. It was a LGBT group out protesting.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...c0b5c470d.html

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    O My conclusion - there's really no way to win at the police/enforcement level of things - the solutions lie elsewhere.
    Where? Raising children who don't believe that you can change the world through vandalism?

Where? Raising children who don't believe that you can change the world through vandalism?
    There is rarely vandalism at demonstrations--discounting paid provocateurs or a few--very few--troublemakers. Not at the level anyway, of the Boston Tea Party, for example. Citizens who don't have enough money to pay off representatives or buy lobbyists still--for the moment, anyway--have the absolute right to publicly register their opinions. Apparently, the police in Phoenix tried to abridge that right, which the ACLU is looking into.

Of the thousands there protesting Trump's policies, total arrests for the night = 4, including 1 juvenile. No property damage, no one killed. A number were injured from the pepper spray pellets and tear gas, including one Vietnam veteran who was carrying a sign "Veterans Against Intolerance."
    The sign had a pellet hole in it, and his arm was bleeding where it was hit by a pellet.

That's what you get for exercising your "freedom" to lawfully protest.

Thread Information